mtbr member

Older Shimano XT Discs - M755/M756 - Where to buy?

Looking for some help out there ... does anybody know where I could find a set of Shimano XT Disc brakes model numbers M755/M756? Perhaps you've seen a set in your LBS or know of someone selling some? This is the older 4 piston set prior to the new style center-lock rotors.

I know the front set is easily available on EBay ... but am looking for a complete set ... preferably new or lightly used. I've also been watching the MTBR classifieds with no luck.

Any help appreciated ... thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

here

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...at=Disc+Brakes

Not exactly what you are looking for. They have the front xt setup, and then at the bottom of the page is the older sram 9.0 brakes which are the same thing without the shimano name. hope this helps some!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member

SRAM the same?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    at the bottom of the page is the older sram 9.0 brakes which are the same thing without the shimano name. hope this helps some!
    I had no idea SRAM made the same exact brakes! Did Shimano and SRAM buy the system from some 3rd party manufacturer and then relabel them? I was always under the impression that Shimano made their own stuff.

mtbr member
    The SRAM 9.0 were made by Grimeca for SRAM. They look a lot like the Shimano 755's however, use DOT brake fluid rather than mineral oil. You don't want, them trust me!
    Keep looking, eventually you'll find some. I've got them on two bikes and wouldn't have anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicyco
    I had no idea SRAM made the same exact brakes! Did Shimano and SRAM buy the system from some 3rd party manufacturer and then relabel them? I was always under the impression that Shimano made their own stuff.

mtbr member

don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Suicyco
    I am not sure what happened, although i know that they don't make them anymore since they bought avid. I heard nothing but good things about them though! Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member

agree

Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I've got them on two bikes and wouldn't have anything else.
    I agree ... I've got the M755/M756 setup on my bike and couldn't imagine a brake system working better than they do. I've also had Hayes HFX9s in the past and much preferred the XTs. Nothing against the Hayes, they were fine, but the XTs feel much better IMO.

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    You don't want, them trust me!
    Any support for the argument?

I run Grimeca on all 3 of my bikes and will never get anything other than those. Simple to work on, DOT available anywhere, parts not a problem, SS braided lines, perfect modulation and power. And at 70$ per end, you can't beat that.

[SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Any support for the argument?

I run Grimeca on all 3 of my bikes and will never get anything other than those. Simple to work on, DOT available anywhere, parts not a problem, SS braided lines, perfect modulation and power. And at 70$ per end, you can't beat that.

I was looking on Camria's site for these brakes, and they only have the rear listed under description. However, inside the page, the info says it's a front brake???

Is there anywhere I can buy a set for $140//??

How do these compare in terms of power and modulation to the new XT, XTR and Hope Mono Minis???

Thanks

Ming

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I was looking on Camria's site for these brakes, and they only have the rear listed under description. However, inside the page, the info says it's a front brake???

Is there anywhere I can buy a set for $140//??

How do these compare in terms of power and modulation to the new XT, XTR and Hope Mono Minis???

Thanks

Ming
    Mini's will have less modulation for sure. It's a xc two piston brake. New XT/XTR are two pistons as well, so I boubt they would be better.

Check ebay. There is a bike shop selling them new for 79 or 89 bux. Not now, but they pop up often.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Grimeca designed and manufactured them and then Shimano and SRAM manufactured them under licence. The reviews suggest that the Grimecas were more problematic than the shimano versions, but this may have more to with the rider than the equipment.

I don't know why there are so few rear 755/756s around. Bike source has the DH version, but this is close to $200 from memory. You could always get this and use the rotor and adaptor on the front (and use the same bits from the CBO front discs on the back). I like having a large rotor on the front.

Wombat