mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Old Skool 755s vs. M975s: What Ya Think?

I love my M755s on my AM bike. Absolutely zero problems and very strong.

I have some M975s that I was thinking of putting on my "lighter" weight Blur build.

For those of you that have tried both, what's ur thoughts?

BTW, do I need an adapter to run a 180mm rotor with an ISO fork mount and the M975 calipers?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    I love my M755s on my AM bike. Absolutely zero problems and very strong.

I have some M975s that I was thinking of putting on my "lighter" weight Blur build.

For those of you that have tried both, what's ur thoughts?

BTW, do I need an adapter to run a 180mm rotor with an ISO fork mount and the M975 calipers?
    The 755's have seen a resurgence in popularity over the past few years. They are a beautiful brake (except for their old lines that scratched the frame) and were very reliable. The only problems I can see is possibly getting new brake pads for them down the road (Koolstop is still making the pads I believe) and acquiring post mount adapters for the fork

RE: 975's - definitely a lighter setup, but from my experience still suffer the dreaded "lazy piston syndrome." Still not a big deal - just requires a little more maintenance on your part.

banned
    The only problems I can see is possibly getting new brake pads for them down the road (Koolstop is still making the pads I believe)
    There is absolutely no problem with obtaining pads. Shimano has kept these pads in good supply as the M03 and the M04 pads. Additionally, since 2004, Hope's Mono M4 used the same pad (though the springs were bent slightly wider than the shimanos), so it's in ready supply from Hope. Goodridge, Ritchey (got some cheap metallics some time ago), along with the usual names and no-names all make pads. If it's a worry, then stock up, but as of yet, this is probably one of the most plentiful pad designs on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    There is absolutely no problem with obtaining pads. Shimano has kept these pads in good supply as the M03 and the M04 pads. Additionally, since 2004, Hope's Mono M4 used the same pad (though the springs were bent slightly wider than the shimanos), so it's in ready supply from Hope. Goodridge, Ritchey (got some cheap metallics some time ago), along with the usual names and no-names all make pads. If it's a worry, then stock up, but as of yet, this is probably one of the most plentiful pad designs on the market.
    Down in the States perhaps. Unfortunately Shimano Canada always seems to be out of these little bugger when we call them up. Tried other distributors too - nothing

banned
    That is in the States, however I'm not in the US now and still haven't had problems getting them. Also, I've fleabay'd several sets of pads from Canada.

You might want to check www.ebay.com