mtbr member
    Jun 2004

old school / new school help

Well, I am in a quandry and need some help. I am back in the hobby after about 10years absence. My bike is still in great shape and runs good, but I need a new rear brake. I am also thinking about going FS down the line, but that may be a while.

I am riding a 1993 Diamondback Acsent with Dia-Comp 987 canti's, SS7 levers and ride-on sealed cables. I like the brakes but in our WET WA climate I find myself getting into trouble due to wet rims, so I want Disks. I was going to go Hayes Hydro's, but felt a set of Avid Mech today and was sold on them immediately.

My big question is will my SS7 levers work ok with the mechanicals? If not the SD's are not that much, but it would be nice to keep the same lever I have used for years.

CABLES - The bike I felt had Jagwires on it, looked to be NON-braided versions. I LOVE my ride-on cables though as the teflon coating and sealed system makes the cable very smooth, they should work right (aside from length)??

I know I will have to either MAKE an adapter or maybe buy the Therapy components adapter kit, but I will handle that. My hope is to start stepping my way toward a new frame piece by piece, and brakes help my current issue and make that start..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The ride on cables will work with the avid mechs. If your eventually going to be piecing a bike together it doesn't make much sense to buy the $$ therapy stuff if the new bike will have disk mounts. Just ride that bad old ascent how it is until you have decided on which new fs rig to buy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was thinking the same thing, then I found the other adapter, $49msrp for a rear mount adapter. Yeah I am hoping I can get away with just a frame, but that always means a new seatpost, stem, BB, Fr Deraileur... I will just havet o keep my eyes open though!!

Bodhisattva
    I don't think those levers will work. The leverage ratio for cantis is different than modern side-pull V-brakes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

By the way, you bring back fond memories. My first MTN bike back in '89 was a smoke gray DB Ascent fully rigid. Weighed a ton but I didn't know any better. Rode it for several years & sold it although sometimes I wish I had it for nostalgia purposes.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Do It Yourself

A couple things...

First, don't do a rear disc with a canti front. Most of your braking is from the front so this is where you want the more powerful brake. Second, in addition to the disc tabs that you don't have, you'll also need a rear disc wheel (expensive). Third, I wouldn't spend any serious money fixing that bike up. Nothing against it but save your money for a better bike. If you definitely need new brakes, get some cheap V-Brakes on eBay. You can get a whole set of brakes and levers for less than $50.

"El Whatever"
    I know this is not the right forum but you maybe thinking about getting a new rig and there are lots of options there. If you're on a low budget get a Giant Warp or a Jamis Dakar. Those are the big bang for the buck.

OTOH, had you thought about getting a set of Vee brakes?? They smoke the canti's for a long way. That's the cheapest brake upgrade I can think of. For Discs, you would spend like 300 bucks considering you need new hubs, brakes and some kind of adaptors, and a suspension fork (if you don't have any or yours don't have the disc mounting tabs).

I'd say swap to vee brakes and ride the bike until it breaks. Then use it for conmuting and use a FS one.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    HEH, I used to sell those DB's, and I just saw one on Sat at the LBS, white with the grey smoke paint.

I can build my own wheels, I would just need a set of hubs and spokes, but I do get your point. My braking issue was not due to brake power, but due to wet rims, V-brakes won't fix it, but Disks will.

I do want FS, I am actually looking now, but my budget is super low and I will be luck if I find a used frame let alone fork, derailer etc..

THANKS FOLKS!

"El Whatever"
    Some cheap FS worth of dropping money are the Giant Warp DS2 (~500 bucks) or check out the Diamond Back or Mongoose catalogue. They make cheap FS bikes. You know emough of bikes so you will not buy crap.

My honest opinion is you should not drop money on discs on your bike. Instead get ceramic rims and vee brakes if the weather is the case.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    I know this is not the right forum but you maybe thinking about getting a new rig and there are lots of options there. If you're on a low budget get a Giant Warp or a Jamis Dakar. Those are the big bang for the buck.

OTOH, had you thought about getting a set of Vee brakes?? They smoke the canti's for a long way. That's the cheapest brake upgrade I can think of. For Discs, you would spend like 300 bucks considering you need new hubs, brakes and some kind of adaptors, and a suspension fork (if you don't have any or yours don't have the disc mounting tabs).

I'd say swap to vee brakes and ride the bike until it breaks. Then use it for conmuting and use a FS one.
    I should probably move this to the what bike forum but.. How about the Giant VT's?? I saw one at the LBS, was I thinkg $1500 with mechinical disks. I rode the Specialized FSR back when it came out and loved the feel They still use the same 4 pivot design now as do a bunch of others, one of which is the VT. It seems that bikes are so well featured now that it makes more sense to get a decent frame with mid level components and just upgrade as you break. Or in my case I could rob the XT/XTR stuf I have from my hardtail in terms of deraileurs, shifters etc.. OR I could try and find a frame off Ebay and build it up little by little..

"El Whatever"
    Get the MBA issue of last month. They made a shootout between trailbikes around $1600. The winner was the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. Second the Giant VT1, third for the Marin with the quad-link (I forgot name of the model), 4th for the Fisher Cake and Fifth the Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0.

I would get the VT1. Stable platform shock, mechanical disk brakes and the rest of the components is above the media (on that price obviously). It gives up a little against the FSR on the climbs and on tight singletrack but it blows the competition away on descents and any other situations but the above mentioned. The FSR is still the best pedaling design and a excelent bike but it has "only" 3.9" of travel while the VT has one inch more. A nice choice but you will feel weird at the beggining as riding a last generation FS is like learning to ride again if you come from the HT scene. Speaking from experience. Forget anything you learned as a HT rider and experiment with the new bike. If you don't you'll probably don't get the full benefits (and travel) out of your suspension rig. We ex-ht's tend to stiffen the shock so it would pedal closer to the HT, which is a big mistake. I'm starting to get boring.

Bottom line... I didn't know how "low" was "ultra-low" budge for you . For me ultralow budget was deciding to use a "no-brand" axle on my Deore hub or buying a new hub. You know what I mean.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ultra low is on the trail in the 1k range, which is why I am thinking about finding a used frame or complete bike and then modding it as I need.

I plan to ride very different with the FS, allot harder!!! HEH I used to do a little motocross so I have a basic understanding of suspension and how nice it is..

THANKS!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well it is official, I am now a FS rider!!! I went out to the LBS lastnight to get sized up so I knew what to look for (didn't know 19-21") Found a 20.5 was perfect, even measured things like TT, wheelbase etc. Then I found they where having a one day sale, $80 off anything over 800 (would beeb nice to get $100 for anything over 1000, but heck..) PLus ONE YEAR no pay no interest financing. THat sold me right there, I rode a NRS and a VT3, both felt really nice, but the NRS felt allot like my hardtail albiet it a little more compliant over babyhead rocks. the VT3 while bobbing had no pedal pulse and climbed the obstacles like a goat and I could not tell I was riding over the rocks! SO I went for the VT. $1300+tax, they even switched out the time pedals for a SPD pedal so I don't have to get new shoes or cleats and now can ride either bike depending on my whim of the day.

I am STOKED!!

"El Whatever"
    Sweeeeeet.... the Giant won't let you down. And for sure your moto background helped you deciding... otherwise you should've choosen the NRS which feels like a HT. Now have fun dialing it in... It's surprising how you pay a lot less for a moto or a bike and you get all this sweet adjustments on the brakes, suspension, riding position, gears... you name it. And how you gotta pay a lot more for a car and live with whatever sheit it has on-board.
    Check my Site