Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Old Hope Mini vs new generation brakes

I have first generation Hope Mini (silver caliper) with 165 mm discs on my old FSR. Recently I rebuild the rear and upgraded it with a braided hose, the front will need new master cylinder seals soon (not a problem)
    Now Iím building a new í10 Intense Tracer + Talas 32 and the only parts I think could reuse from the FSR are the brakes and Iím not sure if I should keep throwing money on the Minis and keep them, or go for some new brakes, Formula RX probably.

I love my Minis and I do prefer keeping them if they were still up to the task, but I wonder how they perform compared to newer generation brakes? If I keep them I will need a 185 front rotor, step up mount and a longer hose ($80 to $125 total, depending on the hose chosen), money that could find a better use on new brakesÖ

By the way, Iím more an XC than AM rider, 170 lbs.

I will appreciate your comments, thanks!

T.W.O.
    Have you try any other brakes since your Minis. I own 2 generations of Minis I think both are newer than yours. The newer version are lighter and stronger. Formula RX is a good choice, and so does other competitive brakes on the market now.

BTW, you'd be more AM than XC a few months after the Tracer

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No real test of any other brake since my Minis, however I remember my previous Hayes Mag were a bit better than Minis.

I'm also keeping an eye on Ebay to see if i can get a newer Mini caliper but again, I'm not sure if this would be a waste of money too. A M4 caliper would be great but I only found IS mounts that I assume can't be used on a PM fork with a 180-185 mm disc ...?

BTW, I love how the Mini levers looks and that's also a reason for trying to keep them but I'm not afraid of trying different calipers/disc.

T.W.O.
    Problem with minis is that it's lack on brute power, it's fine on HT or some XC FS, but once you step up to AM you'd start to demand that power as it makes for more enjoyable experience.

I still have the minis on my HT, and Soft tail, for my AM I rely more toward the Louise, and Formula the one Speaking of rotor I have a 220mm rotor that I'm still figuring out how to put it on my Magura Fork.

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Problem with minis is that it's lack on brute power, it's fine on HT or some XC FS, but once you step up to AM you'd start to demand that power as it makes for more enjoyable experience.

I still have the minis on my HT, and Soft tail, for my AM I rely more toward the Louise, and Formula the one Speaking of rotor I have a 220mm rotor that I'm still figuring out how to put it on my Magura Fork.
    Hey, thanks, that's the kind on info i was looking for.
    It seems it's time for new brakes. I'm sure after some reading I'll come back with more questions about which brakes I should buy (I searched for Tech X2 and Formula RX and got confused again )

Thanks.

T.W.O.
    When It comes to power I'm not sure if smaller hope would or could compete with others, they do make it up with mod and lever feel, not to mention the CNC work. Hope with the same weight would offer the less power than other brakes. Avid, Shimano, Magura, and Formula would definitely offer more power.

My favorite especially for your Tracer would be the Magura Louise Bat. The Formula the one is also good choice. The only way you'd know is to try them out. I was so closed to getting a V2 until I rode my buddy's Pivot Mach 5 with V2, I thought it would have more power than that, he had 180/160. The adjustment is a bit redundant, as there's 2 knobs that do the same function. The M4 has plenty of power but soooo heavy

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The reasons Iím considering Formulas RX are that they seem to be quite powerful and light at entry level price, they use the R1/The One caliper, and because of customer support (I live in Chile). I donít like them aesthetically though.
    Not sure if I can get Maguras locally, and know nothing about their support down here.

I think I could live with RX as long as donít see any Tech X2 or M4 pic; every time I decide on getting the RX I end up looking at how great the Hope looks. No support for Hopes here but after wrenching on Minis and dealing with perfect machined parts thatís something that I would almost enjoy.
    And yeah, M4 seems to be on the heavy side, thatís why I took a look at X2.

My frame is still in Florida waiting to be shipped so I have plenty of time to decide, read again, change my decision, and end up buying Ö Avid

T.W.O.
    As for the look and finish you can't beat Hope CNC, I have the Ltd pink Mini on my wife's bike, the attention to detail is just awesome, even the adapter is CNC. Beautiful laser cut floating rotor.

Good luck, I'm sure you should be happy with just about any brake you choose within your budget. Nowadays, even the one with less power is still far more powerful than older brakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0