mtbr member

old Cannondale canti = headache

I inherited a Cdale F700 and I would like to get it working as a beater. the brakes in the photo below are giving me a big headache though. can anyone find more info about adjusting these crazy things? the hanger mounted on the seatstay wishbone is spring loaded and the arms have individual springs similar to those found in a bmx u-brake.

the bike also has an old Headshok on it, which is equally mysterious. the fork steers fine and the shock is basically locked,so I am not going to mess with that.

Former Bike Wrench
    Brakes...those are Force 40 cams, total PITA! Cannondale made replacement hangers for those called H-Pipes but I doubt those are available either. Personally I'd save the frustration and just get some V-brakes and levers like Avid SD-7's

Fork...some Headshok's had lockouts, if there is a dial on top it should have an on/off position. Of course the needle bearings could also be rusted and seized if the rubber boot is missing or has holes. If it isn't the air version (valve on underside of crown) it probably has an elastomer in there that may be hard as a rock by now.

mtbr member
    yes! thanks, that is the information I needed. I looked up "force 40 cam" and found this:

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/can...structions.pdf

I got the rear brake to work pretty well, still working on the front.