mtbr member

Old brakes, but they work, should I upgrade?

Recently I've been upgrading my drive train, it's the only cause of me swearing on the trail (not counting the occasional unexpected endo/etc).

I've never even thought about my brakes on a ride because they do their job, and do it well. My post ride thoughts are always drivetrain/bike position related, never brakes. So what would I be gaining in upgrading these 10 year old Avid mechanicals (not BB7's but basically the predecessor of that model, so I'm told). I'm just wondering if a newer caliper set would benefit, and possibly I've became complacent with the old Avid's stopping power, but ignorant of "what could be" with a new caliper set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If your brakes work nicely, you could try looking into some Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes. They would provide you with a bit more modulation and some pretty smooth braking. But if you really want to upgrade and love your brakes, try out the Avid Elixir 1's. I run them on my bike and I have never had to think twice when braking. And I believe that your current brakes are Avid BB5's. Hope I could help Tulsa!