mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Old bike, need Hayes 22mm or alternative.

Currently rebuilding a sweet Trek 9.8 Elite and have run into a snag with the rear brake.

Originally, the bike came with a Hayes rear caliper with a 22mm mount on the left chainstay. I have newer Shaimano hydro brakes mounted on an A2Z adapter, but the adapter bends under hard braking, getting the caliper out of whack and causing the brake to drag.

Has anyone come up with a dodge for this situation? Or should I quit trying to fight it and find an original caliper?

Thanks

Tony

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    V-Brake

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the response.

I am not against going to V-brake on the rear but want to save that as a last resort. It would mean buying a new wheelset and possibly changing out my shifters (Deore XT that use the brake levers themselves to shift). Seems I have heard of a hydraulic v-brake but not sure if one would be compatible with my stuff. -TR

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spctrbytz View Post
    Seems I have heard of a hydraulic v-brake but not sure if one would be compatible with my stuff. -TR
    Magura HS-11, HS-22 & HS-33 are hydraulic rim brakes.
    Apparently none of those hydraulic rim brakes will work with hydraulic disc brake levers.

22mm Hayes & Hope calipers occasionally turn up on ebay but it might be a while before you see one.

Maybe a short leg Shimano IS mount caliper like the XTR M965 which can be see here with the A2Z-AD-PMR-Brake-Adaptor set up like this with a 180mm rotor will work.

Edit.
    After looking at the shape of that XTR caliper again I don't think that it'd work.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Magura Marta calipers work with Shimano brake levers.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/xtr-levers-marta-calipers-works-111441.html

Maybe a 'short leg' Marta 160mm front IS caliper like the one in that last link of my previous post will work with that A2Z adapter.

The angle of the seat stay might be a limiting factor it'll probably work on a large frame with a bigger angle but not on a small frame with a smaller angle like this.

mtbr member
    Aloha Tony,

Will this work?

They sell these at Toronto Cycles...........

Torontocycles Disc Brake Adapters, Caliper Adapters, b&s adapters

Good luck with that. Hope it all works out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    gmats, thanks for the reply. I currently have an adapter from A2Z that looks very similar mounted and having trouble with the mount itself warping under braking.

If the Toronto adapter is stronger than the A2Z I would be very interested in trying one out.

The Magura might work too. The short A2Z adapter is probably much less likely to bend than the larger one. A bigger rotor can be had easily as well.

When I get home this evening I will post up a photo of the current setup. -TR

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I thought about suggesting that but I thought flexing might be a problem which was mentioned in the following thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/trek-9-8-elite-disc-capable-need-help-593013.html

Is the A2Z-DM-UNI the adapter that you already have and don't like ?

Last edited by cobba; 09-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    cobba, It's not the DM-UNI - I had not thought about that one since it looked like it sandwiched part of the frame, and I didn't want to mess up the carbon. It looks very much like the mount in gmat's photo above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Apparently this is not an A2Z mount, may actually be the Toronto one.

Here's a few fresh photos to give an idea of the setup.

Notice the relief I ended up filing out to clear the seatstay. It would mount without relief but when the plate warped the rear edge of the plate would catch the rotor spokes. The couple millimeters gained by relieving that area was enough to keep the plate out of the rotor spokes, but just barely. -TR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old bike, need Hayes 22mm or alternative.-img_1087.jpg  

Old bike, need Hayes 22mm or alternative.-img_1088.jpg  

Old bike, need Hayes 22mm or alternative.-img_1089.jpg