mtbr member
    Jan 2004

is ok to use old mineral oil?

HI guys.

Searchinb for the shimano mineral oil for my xt discs I couldnīt find it, so the only thing available was Finish Line mineral oil. The bottle has a 2004-2005 printed at the back, so I suposse itīs a very old package, itīs still sealed. Is there any difference using lubricants so old? I may sound stupid, but thatīs a thing I want to know (not the stupid thing )...
    And, obviusly, from the long time users of this mineral oil, is there a noticeable difference, between the feeling of it and the one from shimanoīs oil? Any seal swelling, or damage?

thanks guys!

and

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    oil does not "wear out" it gets dirty.

mtbr member
    I remember reading shimano uses a different weight oil than magura, so I don't know about finishline oil. It might change the way the brakes and lever feel (might).
    milesW

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    a local bike shop told me I could just use baby oil...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eratanun
    a local bike shop told me I could just use baby oil...

really? wow, thats a TON thinner than shimano oil is, I cant see that working well at all.

it's been a while since I've opened a bottle of magura blood, so I can't comment on a viscosity difference for that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well, thatīs a long term discussion, between people claiming good results with baby oil and other people not recommending it at all.
    The thing is, as I see, that as a long as itīs mineral it should be good for the seals and overall performance.
    The only concern I had was related to the date of manufacter and being used a while after,,,

Obsession? Its a Passion!
    I don't believe that mineral has "aging" problems like DOT fluid (water absorption, etc). Personally, i would stick with new fluid just to be safe. The formulation may have changed within the past 5 years (or maybe just the label, like most finish line products).
    Bike to Work,
    Work to Live,
    Live to Bike.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Magura "Blood" is a mineral based hydro fluid similar to Shimano. They both list a 10 wt. viscosity but know that all fluids will vary according to their ingredients for anti frothing, lubrication, cold weather flow properties etc...
    Mineral oil's main advantage for this discussion is its ability to avoid absorbing moisture from the atmosphere (hydroscopic) and therefore last much longer than a DOT option.

True that the fluid will "look" dirty after some time but this is typically the machined inner surfaces of the caliper and master leaching into the fluid. Note: This does not cause a problem or a deterioration in the oil's performance.
    We see our mineral oil regularly lasting 10 years plus in many applications with out service.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a store purchased baby oil or mineral oil as these are much heavier in viscosity (35 to 50 wt.) and impossible to bleed air out of the oil.
    Try pouring it into a glass and watching how long the "aerated " oil takes for the air to rise to the top compared to a much thinner Shimano or Magura oil.
    Plus, there are all kinds of additives in this drug store mineral oil like perfumes and skin related ingredients that are not good for seals.

Good luck!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    EXCELENT INFO JUDE!
    Thanks a lot for your feedback I think that`s a CONCLUSIVE answer to all that "fuss" about the baby oil or laxative mineral oil instead of the proper mineral oil.

Also, as I see from your post and the other posts above is that using the FinishLine mineral oil that (in my case is 5 years aprox old, but still untouched) should be good for the SHIMANO xt brakes?. Also, could I use it on maguras, too?. I couldn`t find any shimano or magura mineral oil in my country, only finish line. Buying it from the outside is not a real option right now...

BTW, the "look dirt" of the oil explained by you, makes total sense...I though that some of that dirt could be related to the worn pads or some moisture from the outside getting inside the system...

thanks Jude.

bye

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It would seem to me to be crazy to not use the specified oil unless you were in Timbuktu and blew a line. I think some ( many ) people can't see the forest for the trees, and I'm not just talking brake fluid.

Shimano or Magura mineral oil may not have a shelf life if originally sealed, but from what I understand all modern engine oil ( as in cars and trucks ) have a shelf life of about five to seven years if unopened. Fluids are one area where we should not try to experiment unless we are tribologists