Huckin' trails

Ok to use BB7 caliper with pre-worn BB5 rotor ?

Because I finally have my BB7 caliper ready to swap with the current BB5, but even I have the G2 rotor that came with the BB7, I would like to use the current Hayes V8 rotor to keep f/r rotor the same. The current V8 rotor has a bit of wear, enough to see the brake zone, but doesn't have much miles on it. Since the braking surface of BB5 is smaller then the BB7 one, could it cause uneven wear to the BB7 pads if I use it on the current rotor ? I'm assuming it would be an issue if the rotor wear was significant, but it's not much the case, so I'm just checking in.

Thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    As long as the old rotor is still true I would think there would be no real problem. When I asked a similar question (here) the answer was to just take the shine off the old rotors witih 600-800 grit sandpaper. Worked fine...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Huckin' trails
    Good. Thanks

I knew this has been discussed before, but on Tapatalk it's not possible to search for more then the 20 more recent threads corresponding to the search query.

I might also be looking for a BB7 MTB caliper only, to replace the Hayes MX2 I have in the back. I already have CPS hardware and adaptors. Just need the caliper and pads.

Anyways, thanks Marpilli
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

bi-winning
    No problem using the old rotor.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Huckin' trails
    Just finished the install.

I before a front BB5 and rear MX2, both with 203mm Hayes V8 rotor. Front had not much power, not even able to lock the wheel when just pumping the fork, maybe because I also never gave it a super deep cleaning and adjust, but now it's the time. So I also true a bit my rear rotor, cleaned everything with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, then using this BB7 tune-up tutorial, I ended up with perfectly tuned brakes, straight and tight adjust. Then adding my brand new SD 7 levers and it was like day and night. I feel like I'm pumping hydro levers now

Huckin' trails
    Just need to trim the cable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ok to use BB7 caliper with pre-worn BB5 rotor ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326863076.011402.jpg  

Ok to use BB7 caliper with pre-worn BB5 rotor ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326863149.926091.jpg