mtbr member
    May 2009

ok so my torque wrench is too big... gotta do it without

i gotta install my rear brake rotor... rotor says 55 in_lbs, my wrench's minimum is
    120 in_lbs.

what do i do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the right tool for the job, take it to someone w/ the correct tools, or hand tighten @ your own risk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Snug 'em down tight. Don't snap them off. Simple as that.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i figured... *sigh* not again...

money money money money money

turns out that bikes are more expensive than ATVs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    just tighten them.

Meh.
    Just snug them up... or you can pick up a cheap torque wrench for 15 bucks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well, i am using loctite.

how about # of turns? lol

until i get access to a smaller one i'm just gonna snug em up real good.

rhanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    i gotta install my rear brake rotor... rotor says 55 in_lbs, my wrench's minimum is
    120 in_lbs.

what do i do?
    Use a Torx-T25 screwdriver for tightening the rotor bolts. That's what I use for the initial installation, and I find that if I make them pretty tight with the screwdriver, very little additional tightening is needed with the torque wrench. I think it'd still be possible to over-torque the bolts with the screwdriver, but you'll have to work at it.

It is worth it to get an inexpensive beam-style torque wrench though as it'll be useful for other fasteners on the bike too.

Meh.
    Number of turns obviously depends on the length of the bolt... and does not determine torque or thread stretch.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well alright, i'm gonna just tighten them up good with the screwdriver and maybe a smidge more with the socket wrench

Thanks!

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Get the right tool for the job, take it to someone w/ the correct tools, or hand tighten @ your own risk.
    Mechanics have managed for decades without using a torque wrench - and how do you think pretty much every trail-side repair ever has been made? Torque wrenches are useful - of that I agree entirely - but they are by no means a mandatory tool, nor do they negate an Allen key or bit/wrench as "correct" tools.

Being able to judge the correct, or suitable, torque by hand is a skill that absolutely everyone should have if they intend to work on a bike.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 09-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Realizing that everyone is different...I've found that getting them snugged up tight by hand with a screwdriver is just about what my torque wrench says is correct. For sure don't over do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Mechanics have managed for decades without using a torque wrench - and how do you think pretty much every trail-side repair ever has been made? Torque wrenches are useful - of that I agree entirely - but they are by no means a mandatory tool, nor do they negate an Allen key or bit/wrench as "correct" tools.

Being able to judge the correct, or suitable, torque by hand is a skill that absolutely everyone should have if they intend to work on a bike.
    So anyone that works on a bike must become a skilled mechanic ??? Have you ever worked in a shop and seen the number fastners that have been improperly tightened ? Smaller fastners are prone to over tightening by skilled and un skilled wrenches . I don't agree that everyone is going to be or has to be a star mechanic to wrench on a bike, that's why they make tools to get the job done & done right.

...idios...
    So anyone that works on a bike must become a skilled mechanic ???
    Don't put words in my mouth; I didn't say that.

Have you ever worked in a shop and seen the number fastners (sic) that have been improperly tightened ?
    Yes; I've also seen experienced hands be able to apply perfectly adequate torque into a bolt without using a torque wrench. What's your point?

I make no mention of people being "star mechanics", quite the contrary, in fact. I'm saying that learning to fasten bolts by hand is a basic skill that everyone who works on their bike should learn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Don't put words in my mouth; I didn't say that.

Yes; I've also seen experienced hands be able to apply perfectly adequate torque into a bolt without using a torque wrench. What's your point?

I make no mention of people being "star mechanics", quite the contrary, in fact. I'm saying that learning to fasten bolts by hand is a basic skill that everyone who works on their bike should learn.

"Being able to judge the correct, or suitable, torque by hand is a skill that absolutely everyone should have if they intend to work on a bike.

Real world call not everyone wants to master the skill of bike repair they just want to slap on parts and ride. I know a hanfull of guys w/ the best intentions but despite reading & lectured repair instructions still botch repairs. Just because someone owns a bike and wants to make repairs doesn't mean they will be good or ever be skilled @ such. I am an auto mechanic by trade & see plenty of DIY's make more work for themselves because they think auto reapir should be easy...easy like bicycles right .

...idios...
    Real world call not everyone wants to master the skill of bike repair they just want to slap on parts and ride. I know a hanfull of guys w/ the best intentions but despite reading & lectured repair instructions still botch repairs. Just because someone owns a bike and wants to make repairs doesn't mean they will be good or ever be skilled @ such. I am an auto mechanic by trade & see plenty of DIY's make more work for themselves because they think auto reapir should be easy...easy like bicycles right .
    What?