mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ok. I think I screwed up. No, I know I did.

I asked for some help in another post last night and it was suggested that I try and make sure that my front brake caliper is centered because it seemed as though my pads were rubbing against the rotor. So I tried to center the caliper but I loosened the bolts and out came the brake fluid. Wrong bolts I guess. Now the lever resistance feels the same as it did before I lost the fluid but I have to pull the lever all the way to the handlebar to make the front wheel stop spinning. I don't know how much fluid I lost because I really don't know how much there is supposed to be in the system. So, what could be the problem? Do I just need to add more fluid? If so where do I add it? Or do I need to go ahead and bleed them as well? Or should I just stay away from my bike and let someone more qualified to do it? I like to learn these things on my own. I can't see taking my bike to the shop everytime somthing goes wrong. Thanks. Oh yeah my brakes are Avid juicy 3's. I tried to use the tutorial on their site but for some reason my computer won't download them.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

LDH
    mtbr member
    clean up the spill , tighten the bolts and you may need to bleed the brakes if you lost very much.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Okay, for starters: yes, wrong bolts! Losing any fluid out of your brakes is a bad thing, and it's obviously enough to have an effect. Adding fluid and bleeding the brakes should be done at the same time, and the proper method involves the same steps. Avid has videos on Youtube demonstrating proper bleeding for their brakes, if you can't get the steps off their site... I have to say I vote to do it yourself. I only take my bike to the shop for initial frame prep, everything else I try and do myself. That said, it's about getting the bike working right so you can get out and ride, if it takes a trip to the LBS, you can't worry about that too much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I tightened the bolts down. There wasn't enough fluid to make a spill. It just got onto the rotor and some dripped down on my wheel. I cleaned the rotor. Thanks.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You will have to buy an Avid Bleed Kit to do the job and it will have the instructions with it. Take your time and follow the instructions carefully.

It's a really good idea to get the instructions/manual before you just start taking things apart...will really save more time than it costs to read them.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    It's a really good idea to get the instructions/manual before you just start taking things apart...will really save more time than it costs to read them.
    Yeah I agree. I had some instruction but I went about it a little to hastily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by queevil
    There wasn't enough fluid to make a spill. It just got onto the rotor and some dripped down on my wheel. I cleaned the rotor.
    From the sounds of it, chances are some of the fluid also got on the pads, if not directly from the caliper then transfered from the rotor (you did say that you tried braking after the leak).
    I'd take them out and check for that, it should be pretty evident if they're saturated with mineral oil. Mind you, it should be pretty evident even from the way they feel on the rotor when you squeeze the brake, too. If they got contaminated, put them in your stove oven for a few minutes, the oil should burn off. Do a search on the brake forum for details on the temperature/time. I've seen discussions about it many times.

Arek

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey everyone, thanks for all of your replies. I was hesitant to take the bike to the shop because I'm just one of those people who like to do things myself but I did anyway because I have a big ride coming up either tomorrow or Friday and I didn't have time to wait for a bleed kit in the mail. I watched the Avid brake bleed video on YouTube several times and the instruction was excellent. I'm pretty sure that it is something I could do if I was careful and took my time. Oh well, you live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by queevil
    Hey everyone, thanks for all of your replies. I was hesitant to take the bike to the shop because I'm just one of those people who like to do things myself but I did anyway because I have a big ride coming up either tomorrow or Friday and I didn't have time to wait for a bleed kit in the mail. I watched the Avid brake bleed video on YouTube several times and the instruction was excellent. I'm pretty sure that it is something I could do if I was careful and took my time. Oh well, you live and learn.
    I can appreciate wanting to do things for yourself, it's my preference as well. However, you still need to at least differentiate between centering the caliper vs bleeding, two different subjects, different bolts, etc...and you really should make sure you cleaned your rotors well and didn't contaminate your pads.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique