Thread: is this ok?

Humpmaster general

is this ok?

I just put an Avid Mechanical disc brake on a Manitou Black fork. The bike came with disc ready hubs, but it had rim brakes.

The rotor is very close to the leg of the fork. There is only 2mm clearance.

This seems very close.

Is this ok?

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Seems close

That seems close. Does your caliper properly align with the rotor in spite of this spacing?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have a bike with a Manitou Black fork and disc brakes, only about 3 mm clearance also. My Fox fork with the same hubs and disc brakes probably has about 5-6 mm clearance.

It doesn't really how much clearance there is though, even at 1 mm the rotor won't ever rub on the fork. You would have brake pad rub long before the rotor would rub on the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    its close but its normal for the fork... not to worry

brakemeister

Humpmaster general
    I figured something else out. I have the old version 1 Avid Mechanicals. The rotor is 165mm, not 160mm like the version 2 and the bb5 and bb7. That puts my rotor 5mm up higher on the fork and even closer to the fork leg then the 160mm rotor would.

I guess I will go with it and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I figured something else out. I have the old version 1 Avid Mechanicals. The rotor is 165mm, not 160mm like the version 2 and the bb5 and bb7. That puts my rotor 5mm up higher on the fork and even closer to the fork leg then the 160mm rotor would.

I guess I will go with it and see what happens.
    My Black has the rotor very close to its leg as well (between 1-2mm at most) I have never had a problem with it. Just make sure the wheel is tightened at the skewer and there should not be an issue.

That's gonna leave a mark
    My Breakout is the same way. So tight I thought I installed it wrong when I set it up lol. The Fox Vanilla 100 RLC on my hardtail has lots more room around it.