Thread: Oh my ears!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Oh my ears!!!

So i went riding today and almost immediately my front disc brake started squealing. Almost throughout the entire ride it made lots of noise. So when I got back to my house I took a look at it. I believe I have a bent rotor. Would that cause a lot of noise? Also I was just wondering from other people who have BB5's, do you like them? That's what I have and I like the way they stop but they are kind of a pain to set. Could that be because my rotor was bent?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it is not uncommon to have warped rotors.. you can straighten them with a crescent wrench..by pushing/pulling a little bit at a time on the warped section... just make sure you clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol when you are done...

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Can the warping happen from cold weather or other weather related things.

Quote Originally Posted by jdoglike
    Can the warping happen from cold weather or other weather related things.

Unlikely... unless they got really warm and cold immediately... but even so... it is common for rotors to get warped in transport..or by small hits...they are easily straightened...no worries..

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Just another question. What if you were out on the trail and your rotor got bent like bent bad and you couldn't spin the tire, are you just out of luck or can you release the caliper to ride. the only other way i can think of is, if it were the front wheel to put the rotor on the right side and ride without the front brake. But if it were the back i don't know what you would do. Now I know this is not likely to happen because of the frame and fork protecting it from landing on it but just a thought.

for that kind of damage.. you could bend the rotor a bit back and if necessary take the caliper off...but it would need to be an extreme case... and eventhough they can get damaged...it is not that common...