Thread: Odd MT4 leak

Nor­wegr

Odd MT4 leak

Any ideas on what causes a leak from the circled hole?

mtbr member
    I am not sure if you may have apic, to better explain the issue. Is it the Wrist pin that the lever mounts on?

Nor­wegr
    There is a picture, is it not showing up?

I'm not sure how to explain it as my terminology isn't up to snuff; but the part of the brake that sits against the handlebar has a hole in the middle of it, there is oil coming out of that hole whenever the lever is pressed.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    That hole is a "weep" hole an is mandatory on all "open" brake systems. Its design is to allow for atmospheric pressure changes, to allow for the fluid to adjust towards the caliper when the brake pads wear and to also allow for expanding fluid from heat in the system.

However, the evidence of fluid is either from another area of the MC leaking (top cap) edge or from an early bleed effort.
    This is common to see this fluid if the bleed was a little messy b/c the fluid can run down the MC while it is angled upward at a 45 degree angle allowing the fluid to run down and in between the MC and the handle bar. Clean it with good with alcohol and then after a ride, take another look.
    Jude

mtbr member
    There is a bladder under there, Jude may be able to help you out on that , I think that that has to be serviced through Magura.

He is a member, http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=475614 best of luck, and he is your best bet to get you back on track.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    That hole is a "weep" hole an is mandatory on all "open" brake systems. Its design is to allow for atmospheric pressure changes, to allow for the fluid to adjust towards the caliper when the brake pads wear and to also allow for expanding fluid from heat in the system.

However, the evidence of fluid is either from another area of the MC leaking (top cap) edge or from an early bleed effort.
    This is common to see this fluid if the bleed was a little messy b/c the fluid can run down the MC while it is angled upward at a 45 degree angle allowing the fluid to run down and in between the MC and the handle bar. Clean it with good with alcohol and then after a ride, take another look.
    That does sound logical, will check this at first opportunity. I'll clean it off, mount and check for leaks.

The Magura gods clearly weren't happy with my ignorance on this matter and sent me flying over my bars just an hour ago. Snapped my brand new MT8s lever

Yes, that's blood, my left hand was worse off, but the lever on that side is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    There is a bladder under there, Jude may be able to help you out on that , I think that that has to be serviced through Magura.

He is a member, http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=475614 best of luck, and he is your best bet to get you back on track.
    Thank you, appears he was a few seconds faster than you
    Last edited by Vegard; 07-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.