mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Odd finding with Avid brake pads

So I have been trying to solve that whole vibration/noise issue that is so common with Avid disc brakes. I have Elixir 5's with 185 mm on the front and 160 on the rear. The front has never made a peep ever, but the rear has had issues from day one. While messing around with rear pads, calipers, etc, I happened to need to check the front. I have replaced the rear pads a few times, so I am familiar with the Avid pads. I took off the front pads, and I noticed that they are different than any of the other pads I have purchased. They have thin black coating that is evenly painted on the backside of the metal part of each pad. This coating also fully fills in the 6 holes that are on the back of each metal part of the pad. These pads came with bike,but the rear pads are not like this. Ironically, I was working the rear pads to apply disc brake quiet in an attempt to quiet them down. The black coating on the front brakes seems to perform the same type of thing.

Has anyone here come across Avid pads with this black coating already applied?

Thanks.

Workin for the weekend!
    I tried a set of Serfas pads on my X0's and the difference was remarkable. Bedding was fast and easy, and they've been silent. No squeaks or squeals whatsoever. They are supposedly semi metallic, but I don't think so. The wear is much higher than the avid semi metallics...

Might try the disco brakes.com selection next.

mtbr member

Re: Odd finding with Avid brake pads

Never had the pads come stock with anti squeal but I apply it myself.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The black paint just means they are the "Organic" as opposed to the "Sintered" pads, which have a copper color.