mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Now I'm Mad.. I Just Ruined My New Hayes Mag Caliper!!

I've been using Hayes Mags for about 5 years now (and am totally happy with them). I just bought a new set of G2 Mags to replace my G1's for no particular reason. Well, I get them all installed, cut the hoses down to size, swap out to my favorite shorty levers, bleed them perfectly and go ride. I notice my front brake has no stopping power and after examining the caliper I see lots of fluid leaking out from inside. Great.. my brand new pads are ruined. So.. I clean everything up and make sure everything is securely tightened and give it another try. SAME PROBLEM!! WTF?!?!?!?!?

Ok.. it just gets better. So I remove the caliper from the hose and begin to take it apart to see what the problem is- maybe I just need to check the seals. I get the first caliper bridge bolt out and move on to the second one. IT WON"T MOVE. IT STRIPS OUT!!!! My brand new caliper is RUINED!!! WTF?!?!?!? I'm pissed. I'm mad because I know what I am doing and this shouldn't happen. I wonder if this would be considered a warranty issue since the brakes are new? Why would a brand new caliper leak and then have a stuck caliper bolt??? I just want to light the whole thing on fire and throw it off a tall building.

I feel better now. Anybody have any ideas what's going on?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I would guess it should be covered by warranty..maybe Randy@Hayes can chime in.

If not, you can send him a PM.

Race Technician
    give us a call...1888MTN DISC

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Randy.. I got an RA # and the brake is on the way to Hayes. I'm happy again (although a flaming brake plunging off a tall building would be pretty cool).

Freshly Fujified

Kudos to Hayes

Nice job taking care of this guy. One hash mark in the Hayes column!

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    WOW.. Hayes customer service ROCKS!!! I mailed my brake back to Hayes last Wednesday. Today, (exactly one week later) it was already back!!! They hooked me up with a new caliper and sent it back UPS 3 day!!! When I called about sending it in I asked if I should just send in the caliper but the rep said to send the whole system. When it arrived it was assembled, bled and ready to go. That is really going the extra mile for a customer and I appreciate it.

Meh.
    Glad to hear everything worked out.

Good job Hayes!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Cool!

Props well deserved to Hayes!