mtbr member
    Jan 2004

is this normal for mineral oil??

Hi guys...

I bought a couple weeks ago a bottle of finishline mineral brake oil and after opening it up and using it, I see that every three days or four I have to wipe some oil arround it...at the beginning I though that it was residual oil that I left arround the bottle but the thing is that it "expands" inside the bottle and it keeps like evaporating...:s is this normal for this kind of oil? .
    I have a shimano tube of mineral oil and the sealing is different but this does not happend there...Could it be due to how the bottle closes? (simple screw for the finish line, pressure cap on the shimano)?...

thanks guys!

Underskilled
    squeeze the bottle slightly when closing to hold a slight vacuum in there.
    If that does not fix it, get a witch doctor

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I did that yesterday, to see what happends...but, do you have any idea why that happened in the first place?

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know nothing about mineral oil, but i know some materials can leach through the plastic of the container. Like with the nitro fuel used in rc cars/planes/stuff it is recommended that you don't store the container on concrete because of that problem. Again, i have no idea if this applies to either mineral oil in general or your situation.