mtbr member
    May 2009

Is this normal for disc brakes??

Hello I just bought a new bike with Hayes hydraulic HFX-9 brakes. If I ride real slow and move the handle bars left and right real fast I hear a slight metal cling noise coming from the front disc area. Is this normal? Maybe just the pads clinging? Also how do you know when the pads are shot? Will I hear a grinding noise like car brakes? Thanks MAC

...idios...
    It's the flexing of your fork causing the brake rotor to lightly catch the pads. It's normal, to an extent, on most bikes - even with rear brakes from a similarly flexing fram.

As with rim brakes, you need to check your pads periodically. Everyone gets different pad life depending on riding conditions, environment and braking style, so there's no rule, as such: just keep an eye on them and replace them when they wear to within around 1 to .5mm from the backing plate. It's not advisable to allow them to wear past the pad material as the backing may damage your rotor.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    May 2009
    HI Mac,

I just posted about the same thing. Mine's a brand new bike too and at a supposed rrp of 2000 (got mine half price) i've never had this prob before on cheaper bikes. If it is fork flex which is what I suspected after a lot of head scratching and elimination I'm quite frankly disgusted.

Considering complete full sus bikes can be purchased for under a hundred pounds surely forks over 300 should be fit for purpose!!!???

What forks are you running?. I have the marzocchi AM 4 fork.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am running Marzocchi Dropoff 4. I hear a small clinking noise when the front wheel is rolling and I turn the bars real quick from left to right.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yep, same with me Mac and the caliper is perfectly central. I'm going to put more air in mine and see if that stiffens them up... I've tried everything else!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My noise sounds like its coming from the caliper area. This is my first bike with disc brakes. I only here the noise if I spin the front tire then move the handle bars from left to right over and over again. If its just a simple noise and nothing wrong I guess I can live with it. Coil shocks make enough noise on there own.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rechecked and rode my bike today. I took a closer look and it seems normal. I think my pads have a metal backing to them and the pad floats around inside the caliper like a car pad and might be making the slight metal clanking noise I am hearing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If its happening when you spin it there are a couple of things possible. Prob needs a couple of adjusments on the caliper or maybe some play in your wheel. Mine is just when riding.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The sound is almost like a loose disc but if you move your ear over the handle bars you can tell its coming from the caliper. I will go over the bike again and make sure everything is tight since its a new bike but was sitting for some time. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Slop in wheel bearings,flex in fork .Those are my guesses.

Slow is good
    I had experienced the same thing. Turns out the mounting screws for the adapter were slightly too long. They sticked out past the adapter, and when the fork flexed the bottom screw rubbed on the "spoke" part of the rotor, making a "ting, ting" sound. Might take a look at that.

mtbr member
    Yep, could be caliper rubbing as well. Easy way to find out is to look on rotor for and marks that'll point you right to where it may be.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan01
    Most modern cars have disc brakes on the front wheels, and some have disc brakes on all four wheels. This is the part of the brake system that does the actual work of stopping the car.
    Great first post

OP: It's pretty common. Fine tuning of the caliper postion can often take care of the 'z i n g'

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Great first post
    Honestly... ahh I give up