Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trying a little

The "nope no turkey howl here" thread

Maybe this should be a poll
    There are plenty of threads in "Brake Time" on the Juicy Turkey Howl and that's good.
    Embedded deep in those threads are a few lone voices saying "but I have no problem"

I thought I'd start one for folks that have no annoying noises from their juicys.
    I'm one, my wife's the other.

Post away.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008
    Do I count for 3? all 3 of my bikes have Avid Juicy 5's and none of them howl,moan,scream or make any noise

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    it seems like all the people who know what they're doing have quiet juicys... just an observation.

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008
    as blunt as that came across....I hate to say it...but I kinda agree...now let the flame-fest begin!

I Love my Rize
    None here........ Love my J7's, never made a peep and are perfect.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Calm Like a Bomb
    none here for 3 sets of j5s, 3 sets j7s, 1 set of codes
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wow this thread is taking off...even if you are right that people "who know what they are doing" are not having this problem does not speak well for the product. Who wants a brake that you need to be a mechanic to use...could you image having to buy a car that you are an expert in fixing in order for it to work...Common sense shows these brakes sucks...PM for 150.00 for juicy 7's with 8 inch rotos...pick up on the front range...great deal for experts.....

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    could you image having to buy a car that you are an expert in fixing in order for it to work...Common sense shows these brakes sucks...PM for 150.00 for juicy 7's with 8 inch rotos...pick up on the front range...great deal for experts.....
    How many people work on their own vehicles?? If every one was a mechanic then there would be no need for a service department or repair shop. Just for SNG what do you do for a living??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    How many people work on their own vehicles?? If every one was a mechanic then there would be no need for a service department or repair shop. Just for SNG what do you do for a living??
    that is the point, if you need to be a mechanic in order for these brakes to work...they suck...thanks for making the point for me...cheers

Trying a little
    I have never touched my brakes. I bought the bikes from bike shops that had expert mechanics, like bike shops are supposed to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The problem is that there are many different noises caused by several different things. The other thread is for the warble which is a different noise than a howl.

I've heard 4 different noises so far from my Avids.

1. Warble (from what I've deduced is caused by misalignment)
    2. Screech (happens when bedding large pads like Codes)
    3. Howl (sorta like wine-glass friction)
    4. Squeak (dunno...it's random)

The misalignment on my warble is caused by frame flex. It's fine until moderate braking. When my frame begins to flex...then the caliper starts to twist with my stays causing the pad to dig into the vents. (I've watched it) Still waiting on a warranty frame to verify...but I'm pretty confident.

A. I wonder how many people are calling any old noise the "warble".
    B. I wonder how many people with the actual warble noise are bigger dudes like me with weak stays. These "Big Boy Warblers" may just need a frame with vertical support struts or beefier stays.
    C. I wonder if we could record the noises and share them. It's the only way to actually separate the actual symptoms into appropriate categories to come up with definite fixes.

mtbr member
    All my juicy's but one work just fine. I bent the rotor on one and now there's a slight gobble.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    that is the point, if you need to be a mechanic in order for these brakes to work...they suck...thanks for making the point for me...cheers
    So I'll take it that you dont do anything because it may concern maintenance, Ekkerz your on a computer oh Wait you can afford to just replace rather than repair, got it.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

The only time my stock J7s would make noise is when they got dirty or hot. Since changing to organic pads, they're as silent as one could want. Would I buy Avids again? You bet!

Trying a little
    This is the thread for those of us that don't have any of the problems you are describing, so you might want to try a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    The problem is that there are many different noises caused by several different things. The other thread is for the warble which is a different noise than a howl.

I've heard 4 different noises so far from my Avids.

1. Warble (from what I've deduced is caused by misalignment)
    2. Screech (happens when bedding large pads like Codes)
    3. Howl (sorta like wine-glass friction)
    4. Squeak (dunno...it's random)

The misalignment on my warble is caused by frame flex. It's fine until moderate braking. When my frame begins to flex...then the caliper starts to twist with my stays causing the pad to dig into the vents. (I've watched it) Still waiting on a warranty frame to verify...but I'm pretty confident.

A. I wonder how many people are calling any old noise the "warble".
    B. I wonder how many people with the actual warble noise are bigger dudes like me with weak stays. These "Big Boy Warblers" may just need a frame with vertical support struts or beefier stays.
    C. I wonder if we could record the noises and share them. It's the only way to actually separate the actual symptoms into appropriate categories to come up with definite fixes.

huffin' n' puffin'
    J5 and J7's on two different bikes....both don't howl, screech, or gobble. Although, I do hear a slight "shing" every now and again. I'm no bike mechanic...I just read a tutorial on proper bed-in and they worked fine from day one.

mbtr member
    I've got 2 sets of J5's that are dead quiet, but then again, although i'm not a bike mechanic, I'm a genius, a prophet, and the future leader of the united world government.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

No problems here...

I have or have had, two sets of BB7s and one set of J7s. My first set of BBs howled like a dog in pain when brand new. Once the pads bedded in though they went silent. The only time I ever hear anything out of my brakes is when they are hot or wet. More so when wet than anything else.

But those instances aren't a "problem" with the brakes. I haven't found a mtb disc brake that wouldn't make noise under the right conditions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    I have never touched my brakes.
    My friend, you must share with us your expert descending technique; You only get the howl when you use them, so you don't count. In your case, save the weight and take them off!

Mine used to howl, but not anymore... eBayed them off months ago.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No noise from mine, unless I glaze the pads, but that's my issue.

mtbr member
    I have Juicy Ultimates on my Moots with ZERO odd sounds and they stop like a champ. I think if you set them us as per the instructions, following them exactly, you won't have any problems. I ride with 5 other guys that have various levels of Juicys with no sound problems. As we say in our house; RTFM (read the F**K'n manual).

beautiful noise...

in between?

So, I've had some noises but most of the time there are none. That places me in between I suppose. I equate this in part to the fact that I'm 195lbs and running a QR fork with worn bushings on the brake side and environmental factors such as moisture, mud, dust, etc... I live in the Pacific NW and ride year round and I have never heard of a single brake system that didn't make at least some noise on occasion due to the above mentioned criteria. I will agree though that a large percentage of issues experienced by folks on these boards in regards to Avid brakes seems to be set-up related.

I'm currently running J7s but previously had BB7s on the same frame. The BB7s had the "gobble" bad in the back. No amount of set-up helped. I was able to eliminate it by having my disc mount tabs faced. I've had very few issues with the J7s now on the same frame. Most of the noises I've heard have come from the front and since I already know my bushings are worn (I get a "shudder" on the left leg) I expect that my next overhaul (and swap to 20mm thru-axle lowers) will cure it. There. That's my pointless contribution for the day
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Iíve ridden 25+ bikes with Juicy brakes, after a year of effort I managed to get mine to work for a week in a satisfactory way on a different bike with non Avid washers and Iíve tried one 29er with Juicy Ultimateís working fine, I know thatís not good but those are the only 2 times Iíve ever tried and they have been working as well as I would expect from any other brake.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    So I'll take it that you dont do anything because it may concern maintenance, Ekkerz your on a computer oh Wait you can afford to just replace rather than repair, got it.
    You are correct, if my computer broke I can afford to fix it or replace it...however I am not a computer repairman and this thing has actually worked fine the last 4 years. I know crazy to expect a product to work with just regular maintenance....

I Love my Rize

A true expert

Dogonfr.....Please don't argue with Big Ben as he is a "seasoned expert on bikes"

From
    (City, State or Country):
    NY
    Year started riding:
    Favorite type of riding
    (can choose more than:
    All Mountain
    Favorite Trail:
    Colorado
    Bike Setup:
    2007 Gary Fisher HIFI
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast