mtbr member
    May 2007

Noob Problem with Avid BB7 out of the box.

I just picked up a pair of BB7 brakes, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to separate the caliper and the rotor. They come with the caliper firmly clinched to the rotor, but no amount of force which I'm willing to exert (I'd rather not damage brand new breaks) will separate the two. Attempting to turn out the dials in order to release the death grip the pads have on the rotor was of no use, and the installation instructions start with attaching the rotor to the hub.

I have a feeling I'm missing something very obvious, but right now I'm at a loss. How do I get these two apart?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Well, you've pretty much figured out your two options: (1) pull the rotor out, or (2) dial back the pad adusters.

Those red knobbies can take quite a bit of force if they're under comperssion. Give 'em another try? And don't be scared to tug really hard on that rotor. Something's got to give!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Just picked up a pair of BB7s and had the same initial problem. Couldn't turn the red knob with my fingers and was a little timid about breaking it using plyers (cause I didn't know if the knob was actually the way to release the rotor). However, took the plyers and was fairly firm but gentle, got the caliper to loosen. Just make sure you're going the right direction.

Chris
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy crap, what a ride!!" - author unknown