mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Noob with first hydraulic brakes, ok to switch cable sides? Tektro HD-R310

Hi,

I just purchased my first bike with hydraulic brakes. It's yet to arrive, but I suspect it's safe to assume that the front brake will be on the left lever, and I've ridden my whole life with front being on the right.

Can I just pull the cables from the levers and switch sides without having to bleed them afterwards? I saw a clip that on Shimanos it should be OK, but no real mention of Tektros anywhere in that context.

mtbr member
    Of course there are no cables involved. They're hoses. You can disconnect them and switch sides but you'll introduce some small amount of air into the system. If you do it carefully it's usually only a small amount which winds up moving to and staying in the reservoir where it doesn't cause any problems as long as it stays there and doesn't migrate into the piston, hose or caliper.

One thing to check is that the hoses are long enough. I ensure I can turn the bars 180 degrees or until they stop, which ever is first, without unduly stressing the hoses.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ah yes, hoses, that's the word. And thanks! I'm ordering a bleed kit just to be safe as they seem to be cheap, but I'll try to just do the switch and see if I fudge it up.

mtbr member
    Have all your previous bikes had the front brake on the right?

I live in the US and all my bikes have the front brake on the left. I've also ridden motos for almost as many years where front brake is on the right. I've always switched back and forth without any thought or effort. Of course all the other controls are different too.
    Do the math.