Thread: Noob to braking

mtbr member
    May 2013

Noob to braking

This is my first time using disc brakes so bare with me.

I recently purchased an Haro Steel Reserve 1.1 (80 Bucks, got to love craigslist). I plan on doing a little of everything so its almost the perfect bike for me and can easily be upgraded.

Anyway, what is not perfect about the bike is the fact that it came with only rear disc brakes. I have almost always used the front brake more than the rear but I still use both. Would it be okay to move the rear setup to the front and go without rear when I ride trails? I don't want to do a lot of skidding and am not afraid to go over the handle bars. This would only be a temp fix until I can find a good set of brakes for the right price.

BTW the bike only has the mount for disc, otherwise I would throw cantis or V's on.

mtbr member
    for what purpose are you using this bike? the Steel Reserve is a dirt jump, skatepark, urban bike, which is why it didn't come with a front brake. for that kind of riding, that's really all the brake you need. it's not designed for XC type trails.

I would ride with just a rear brake until you can get a front brake on it too. does the front hub have a six-bolt interface for a rotor? does the fork have tabs for the caliper? if you can get a front brake on there and you are on a budget, I suggest an Avid BB7 or go to Blue Sky Cycling and get a Shimano SLX 675 hydro.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I do all of the above, I haven't taken it on any XCs yet because I don't want to tear the trail up because of the lack of braking. I live in Oklahoma so there isn't any crazy trails, mostly berms, tight trees and the occasional drop. I just want to make it an all in one for me, others might not agree and that's fine, it'll be mine.

editing because for some reason I didnt read your whole reply.

Saw Avids BB7's for sale for like 54 dollars. Might check into that.

yeah the hub is setup for the rotor and the fork has the mount for the caliper.

mtbr member
    go ahead and buy a BB7 brake, something like FR-5 levers, and a cable then. i would rather ride with only a rear brake than only a front, but I rode bmx for 18 years, most of them with only a rear brake.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah I have a mixed background so I understand the BMX thing. I appreciate the info.