mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Non-Shimano Mineral Oil for Shimano Hydraulic Brakes?

Is there a type of non-Shimano mineral oil that I can use on Shimano hydraulic disc brakes?

Trying to figure out if this is like Mercedes recommending Mercedes brake fluid, when you can use any Dot 5 brake fluid. (Just an example!) Basically, is there some special Shimano formula that NEEDS to be used, or is there some mineral oil/mineral oil blend that can be substituted?

Thanks for the help

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    some people have tried different oils.. even regular mineral oil from the drugstore.. but since you only change the oil after every couple of years or so.. why not get the "right" stuff... I bought a liter of Shimano oil.. filled 3 sets of brakes and the bottle is practically full.... and the liter bottle was cheaper than 2 of the 250ml ones...
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-12-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    shimano supposedly has an additive , I think the additive is the red color that gets darker if it get too hot
    that said I used the shimano oil on my mavic hubs since its impossible to find mavic mineral oil

Chillin the Most
    I've used and continue to use Magura Blood, which is Maguras own version of mineral oil brake fluid.

drug store mineral oil is a bad choice, it's not mfg with braking systems in mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    drug store mineral oil is a very bad choice. The oil is not as refined and is not 100% percent pure mineral oil. Never us drug store mineral oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Movemint
    drug store mineral oil is a very bad choice. The oil is not as refined and is not 100% percent pure mineral oil. Never us drug store mineral oil.
    totally agree... I had a huge argument in a thread some days ago with a guy that used mineral oil from the drugstore.... I mean since one changes the oil about once every 2-3 years probably... why not get the "good stuff"... I bought a liter for 17 EUR...and I can probably make about 10 sets of brakes with that much and have some to spare....

banned
    Use Pentosin 7.1, FeBi Mercedes Benz Hydraulic Fluid, or Castrol Power Steering fluid for Jaguar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    totally agree... I had a huge argument in a thread some days ago with a guy that used mineral oil from the drugstore.... I mean since one changes the oil about once every 2-3 years probably... why not get the "good stuff"... I bought a liter for 17 EUR...and I can probably make about 10 sets of brakes with that much and have some to spare....
    I'm not sure if the person you're refering to is me. But after a number of weeks and many stops of my 200 pounds. The drug store bought mineral oil still works as well as the day I bled it.

I simply don't agree with your logic that "shimano" mineral oil is the good stuff. I think that there is no difference in performance.

Your and all other opinions are purely speculative with no actual experience to back it up.

I on the other have have used stock "shimano" as well as the drug store type and have noticed no difference. My opinion acually has some validity to it.

People, please do not speak out of ignorance , it is a very bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by timms
    I'm not sure if the person you're refering to is me. But after a number of weeks and many stops of my 200 pounds. The drug store bought mineral oil still works as well as the day I bled it.

I simply don't agree with your logic that "shimano" mineral oil is the good stuff. I think that there is no difference in performance.

Your and all other opinions are purely speculative with no actual experience to back it up.

I on the other have have used stock "shimano" as well as the drug store type and have noticed no difference. My opinion acually has some validity to it.

come on, Timms... what i mean is that going the cheap way is not always safe...

thanks for calling me ignorant... appreciate it... though I try to help with what "little" I know...

as i said in the other thread I am glad it works for you.... although I wouldn't preach to use it..because you don't know of the long term effects that it may have, since you have only had it for a couple of weeks... again..great if it works for you... but I don't think $10 for the mineral oil bottle every couple of years will be a huge burden

TranceX Rider
    Meo0ow, baby!!! Who0phs! You said jaguar, that's why it purrrsss!

Unto the concern here, better follow what's recommended(# 24, respectively), besides, like what crisillo have reiterated, since it's once in a blue moon you gonna change oil, why not do it right the first time. Better be safe than sorry later... Yeah, no matter how it may sound as a shrewd marketing scheme...

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by timms

Try bleeding your brakes with water, it will "work" as well.

If you've been around hydraulic brakes long enough to try Magura brakes with red fluid vs the blue stuff you'd quickly know that there is a difference in mineral oils and its not just a "smoke and mirror's" thing. Ride in cold weather, heat up the fluid a good bit, and your elitist attitude might change. Drug store mineral oil working for 2 weeks is no feat. On that same analogy, a car will work fine with one bolt in the wheel, but for how long and what conditions? Ride in the cold winter and then let us know why your pistons won't retract/extend properly.

Shimano mineral oil is cheap and requires little/no maintance once bled unlike dot brakes. It's worth the $10 peace of mind (and won't void your warranty).

mtbr member
    It's a simple as different "weight" oils, just like fork oils. I know a great bike shop that uses fork oil for their shimano brakes, however to be on the safe side I turned down the offer and used the shimano. My reasons are as follows: 1. you get the correct weight oil first go (this is the weight the master cylinder was designed to push!) 2. I know shimano uses additives, for example the red colour which makes it easier to see, there is also talk of additives that help seal life through the brake system. Bottom line... bleeding is a very occasional thing, if you feel like bleeding on a weekly basis, go for it and try everything you can to save a buck, otherwise go for the smart option of using the designed fluid for the job and do it once a year if that! apart from anything you will sleep better knowing that your brakes are performing as they where designed to!

mtbr member
    Been using pentosin, 2-3 yrs now on all my bikes