mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Non cyccling hydraulic brake application

Hello all,

I represent a university team who are aiming to design an ultra-high mileage vehicle. We intend to use bicycle hydraulic disc brakes, and would be very grateful if you would share some of your wisdom.

We are looking for brakes which are as light as possible. Ideally, they would not be self-adjusting. Braking force is not a concern, as even the weakest disc brakes will be over-kill in our design. The brakes are to be applied rarely, so heating is not a concern. Neither will be resistance to environment (rain, mud, etc.).

If any particular models or manufacturers spring to mind, then please do tell!
    Thank you in advance,

Uber 2011

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm pretty sure all currently available hydro brakes are self-adjusting. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    I'm pretty sure all currently available hydro brakes are self-adjusting. Good luck with your search.
    From what research I have done, this is what I feared!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can I ask why you prefer non-self-adjusting brakes?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    Can I ask why you prefer non-self-adjusting brakes?
    Lack of drag.

Uber, unlike motor vehicle discs, mtb brakes pads retract and do not rub (when setup correctly).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We think having non-self-adjusting brakes would allow us to set up the brakes so that we can guarantee that the pads and rotor are not touching when the brakes are not applied. It won't make a huge difference, but we are trying to reduce all forms of rolling resistance to the absolute minimum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Lack of drag.

Uber, unlike motor vehicle discs, mtb brakes pads retract and do not rub (when setup correctly).
    I hadn't realised this. Thanks for the heads up.

In this case, all we will need are very light brakes, possibly Magura Marta SL with 140 mm rotor.

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, mtb brakes usually have a spring to "assist" the pads in retracting with the pistons, or being clipped to the pistons themselves.

How many corners are you adding brakes to? I found these when looking up some brakes for my bike, if you're using them on more than 1 corner, these could help save some weight
    http://www.hygia.com.tw/prod-brake01-4.htm

Bike to the Bone...
    Why don't you look into the Avid BB7? They're not hydros and probably heavier than the Marthas, but you can set up how close/far you want both pads in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber2011
    We think having non-self-adjusting brakes would allow us to set up the brakes so that we can guarantee that the pads and rotor are not touching when the brakes are not applied. It won't make a huge difference, but we are trying to reduce all forms of rolling resistance to the absolute minimum.
    Aloha,

I think for this reason, you'd be even more interested in a mechanical disk brake like the Avid BB7. Those calipers will allow you to without a doubt, set the caliper so there will be NO possible drag. With the talents of your crew, you could pare the weight of the system down significantly as well. Grinding, machining etc could put you way down in weight. This would especially be the case if the brakes weren't being used all that much and stopping power was already over kill (as you said up above).

Good luck with that,

g

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im curious about your project. Do you have a link to some info?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

local trails rider

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    BB7 will be your best bet. They are super strong, so don't let the cable-actuated feature scare you off.