Thread: Noisy v-brakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Noisy v-brakes

I'm running Avid Ultimate v-brakes with Black Op's levers. My wheelset is Rolf Propel with ceramic strip on the rim. I have tried a few different types of brake pad but the thing is hellout noisy. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    So, you are getting brake squeal? are you using ceramic brake pads? couple tings to try...
    1. Make sure rims & pads are clean. Clean brake pads & rim with scotch brite pad (or lightly sand with emery cloth) & some soapy water, chase with alchohol/solvent rub.
    2. increase toe-in on pads.
    This usually solves it for me.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Avid pads are loud. Swap pads to something designed for Ceramic rims. Kool Stops are the better rim brake pads out there. I only use Kool Stops on all my rim brake setups, and all my disc brake setups.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poephols14
    I'm running Avid Ultimate v-brakes with Black Op's levers. My wheelset is Rolf Propel with ceramic strip on the rim. I have tried a few different types of brake pad but the thing is hellout noisy. Thanks in advance.
    Im running the same setup except for Kool Stop MTB pads - and no issues. But they say in the bike shop squeaky brakes are brakes that are working - if you could believe that