Thread: noisy rotor

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

noisy rotor

i recently got a new bike with hayes hfx 9 brakes and had to true up the front 8" rotor as it was rubbing slightly but now i've noticed that when i riding down the street or in the driveway and turn the front rotor makes a noise like it is rubbing/vibrating other than that if i ride straight it doesn't rub. i checked all the bolts on the rotor and they are all tight is there something wrong with my brakes or not. i've really only noticed this on pavement not on the dirt/trail and thought that maybe it was because of the tire (Gazz 2.3) and its aggresive tread making it vibrate. what do any of you guys think is something wrong or can this be fixed or do i just have to live with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Could it be your fork twisting?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeforlife
    i recently got a new bike with hayes hfx 9 brakes and had to true up the front 8" rotor as it was rubbing slightly but now i've noticed that when i riding down the street or in the driveway and turn the front rotor makes a noise like it is rubbing/vibrating other than that if i ride straight it doesn't rub. i checked all the bolts on the rotor and they are all tight is there something wrong with my brakes or not. i've really only noticed this on pavement not on the dirt/trail and thought that maybe it was because of the tire (Gazz 2.3) and its aggresive tread making it vibrate. what do any of you guys think is something wrong or can this be fixed or do i just have to live with it.
    Your brakes may be fine. If your fork is flexy enough that it allows your wheel to slop around, then you might get some noise. On rim brakes, this used to happen sometimes as well.

UKMac

It could also be the hub

It could be that the bearings aren't adjusted properly or the quick release is not tight enough. Check for play by trying to move the wheel side to side. If you notice significant play try check the bearings and QR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    its not a QR hub it a 20 mm one that is on a SC Shiver
    Live to Ride
    Ride to Live
    [SIZE=2]
    Mountain Biking - "A mode of transportation that combines the strenuousness of continuous pushups with the comfort of falling down a flight of steps in a shopping cart." Newsweek 7-19-93[/SIZE]

My For Sale Parts List Here PM for info

UKMac

It still could be the bearings

did you check for play?