mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Noisy Hope Tech M4 and rusty rotors

Hi, I was wondering if people have ever had a problem with they Hope Floating rotors rusting on the surfaces that do not come in contact with the pads, mine have a pretty good layer of rust on them except for the braking surface which is clean. I think this ruse is contaminating my pads causing the brakes to squeal when wet.

I thought stainless was not supposed to rust? I emailed hope about this and they said it isn't anything to worry about and that it will not affect braking at all, but I want to do something about it.

I am running organic pads and put a new set on the front the other day, but the first time they got wet they screamed, but only briefly. A couple days later they sound the same as the pads i had on there for 4 months. I noticed that the old pads had pretty well turned orange from the rust on the rotor.

Has anyone ever painted their rotors with high temp brake/caliper paint (not the braking surface)?

Edit: Has anyone tried "Squeal Out", and does it make wet brakes quiet?

Former lurker!
    May 2011
    In my experience rust is quite common on the discs, but relatively easy to clean off.

Remove them from your wheels and give them a good scrub with some soapy water until it's shiny once again. Then it's just to put them back on and ride! The slight surface the soap leaves will be worn of fast.

It sound a lot as if it's the rust causing the noise. If your new pads are contaminated you might have to get yet another pair. But try them on first with a pair of clean discs.
    Why are my shins so scarred..?

mtbr member
    My Hope Tech X2 brakes always squealed in the wet, with both metallic and organic pads. There isn't much you can do about that really. It's normal.

In terms of rust on the brake rotors you can clean it off fairly easy. After each ride give the rotors a wipe with a damp cloth to clean them, and then dry them thoroughly so that the bike isn't stored wet. That should help reduce any rust issues.

If your brakes are new you'll probably find that the small steel allen bolts in the Tech brake levers that hold the top caps on go rusty too, along with all the black Hope steel bolts for the caliper and lever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sascwatch View Post
    I thought stainless was not supposed to rust?
    Most stainless steels rust just like every other steel. They stain less than normal steels hence the name stainless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Stainless steel is actually a trade name. Common name is corrosion-resistant steel. They can "rust" over time, but I've never had issues with my Hope floating rotor (or any other rotor). Might depend on the conditions you ride and keep your bike in when not riding.

Surprised to hear that new pads are orange from rust, since they're only contacting the areas that are not rusty. Cars have mild steel rotors that will rust if not used. A couple braking episodes will clear the friction surfaces of rust and don't typically build up on the pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sascwatch View Post
    I am running organic pads and put a new set on the front the other day
    Organic pads are rubbish when wet, sintered metallic pads work more consistently but both will scream when wet. Every set of brakes I'v ever had get noisy when wet.

Also, are you certain the rust is rust and not material from the pads gathering on the surfaces of the rotor? I brake cleaner will shift it it's probably not rust, if is then time for the old wire wool to get rid of it.

mtbr member
    My Hopes (both X2s and M4s) squeel when wet. It happens.

As for rust - one set of my floating rotors was rusting around the cutouts due to laziness - I would store the bike wet. It does not affect performance at all. They still work well. However, I now dry things off well before storing bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Update, I removed the brakes and rotors from the bike and cleaned them up really well. I took some steel wool to the rotors and some wet sandpaper to even them out again. Took some high temp manifold paint and painted the rotors in the cutouts and made sure to clean up any paint I got onto the braking surface itself. I also cleaned up and sanded the pads to start fresh.

After breaking in the pads (several hard stops from 30-0), I went for a ride, it was raining out and to my surprise the brakes made NO noise when wet. Will give it more time to see if the problem is fixed.

I took some pics of the pads also to show they were turning orange from rust. Will post those asap.

Sup
    I run formula rotors with my hope's
    could never keep the hopes straight
    K.I.S.S.

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am