mtbr member

Noisy brakes - one possible solution?

This is an old problem, and there appear to be many "answers", but the following modifications have helped stopped the dreaded squeal from my rear brake.
    Note; None of the following equipment is high end gear, so if you have an aversion to the theories of your (sub) "Average Joe", please skip this posting now...

Bike; Giant Yukon SX (modified)
    Brake; Diatech Anchor Sport
    Rotor size; 160mm (6")
    Riding style; Light trails, farm roads, occasional XC race.

Once fitted to this bike, the resonance through the rear suspension was horrendous. Imagine the combined sounds of a fog horn & nails down a blackboard on each application...

Having checked tightness on everything, changed rotors, pads, cleaned discs, adjusted contact, nothing made any prolonged difference. So, in a fit of desperation, I attacked a spare rotor (of identical shape & material) with the drill press. I must point out that my work allows me the luxury of access to a machine shop for such misadventures, with such devices as drill presses, clamps, drills, cutting compounds, etc. at my disposal, so do not try this at home with your power drill.

Each of the holes in the rotor were increased in size by around 25%, obviously diminishing the contact area of the rotor (and mildly warping the rotor during the process, an unfortunate side effect).

Refitting the rotors (and correcting the warping), the difference was noticeable immediately - the howling had all but disappeared, and when it was produced, was but a mere fraction of what it had been previously.

So to this end, my squealing brake problems appear to be at an end. This process may not work or be suitable for everyone, depending on riding style, rider weight, and any number of other variables you may wish to think of. But for me this has ended a particularly irritating problem that afflicts may riders.
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

...idios...
    "Having checked tightness on everything, changed rotors, pads, cleaned discs, adjusted contact..."

So you didn't confirm caliper alignment or have your brake spots faced? Did you also ensure that both pistons are moving equally and contacting the rotor at the same time? You're sure that both pistons also retract at the same speed? Did you bleed the system?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    In answer (almost) all your questions - yes. I failed to have my brake spots faced, but yes, I checked the piston piston extension & retraction, in addition to bleeding the system.

I'm not purporting to have the answer, but within my limited capabilities & knowledge, I looked to rectify the problem I was experiencing. I have done this, and simply wished to pass on what I found. If this information is flawed or erroneous, it should be treated as such, and dismissed as is required.
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

...idios...
    "I'm not purporting to have the answer, but within my limited capabilities & knowledge..."

Cool down, Matt. I genuinely applaud your willingness to experiment, but I was just checking that you had actually gone through all the usual suspects. You've posted your one-in-a-million fix for noisey brakes and with it posted a rather incomplete list of pre-fix checks. You yourself ahven't even done one of the first 'must-do' checks and had your frame faced. Anyone who randomly comes across this thread might quite easily decide to start drilling into their rotors before attempting to eliminate the more likely causes. I'm sure I don't need to spell out how catastrophic the results might be for "Average Joe" and his Black & Decker...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sorry Steve, didn't mean to sound abrupt. I'm a relative rookie to serious mountain biking, and the technology has changed incredibly since I was last involved in the sport in the early 90's. This problem appears to afflict many types of bikes with many different brands of brakes, be they top end or bottom end and I'm expecting to be denounced for my less than scientific approach by experienced MtBers, but I stumbled across something that worked for me, so I considered it worth raising. I figure it's all part of the learning curve.