mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Noisey Brakes - Shimano Hydro Brakes_ M485's

The rear brake of my three month old Shimano hydro disc brakes, are quite noisey when I stop/slow up on a downhill. It sounds more like vibration through the frame rather than the brake pads. I have cleaned the rotor, replaced the pads and bedded in the new brakes. The mechanic at my local bike shop has looked at them and said there is no oil leak. To make it more challenging the problem, only occurs intermittently, Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does the intermittent appearance have any correlation to your riding environment?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for responding. The riding environment is generally the same. I am confused about it only being the back brake.

Check alignment of the rear caliper? Reinstalling rotor, making sure all bolts are torqued evenly? Try a different design rotor? Different pads? Assume you've taken steps not to contaminate the rotor/pads when lubing your chain or similar?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. I will trying tightening the bolts on the rotor. If anyone has had the same problem please let me know what you have tried.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

so....

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper99
    Thanks. I will trying tightening the bolts on the rotor. If anyone has had the same problem please let me know what you have tried.
    ... it was fine for three months, and then started howling or sqealing?

I'm going to guess either contaminated pads or glazed pads.

If you just glazed them, you can try sanding off a small bit of each pad face, then take some medium grit sandpaper and lightly make some swirely scratches across the braking surface of the rotor. Clean it all up well with Brake Kleen when you are done, reassemble and re-bed the pads.

If you contaminated the pads (for instance, you used spray Tri-Flow on your chain and some overspray got on the rotor) you can try baking the pads in a toaster oven at 500F for 15 minutes to see if you can burn off the oils. Clean the rotor up with Brake Kleen before you put it all back together. If not, then time for new pads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a small theory regarding these particular symptoms and all disc brake mfgrs.

1. Is the vibration like the friction of the "musical wine glass" with water and fingers?
    2. Is the vibration like the edge of the pad is digging into the rotor vents?
    3. How much do you weigh?
    4. Could you show a picture of the rear caliper and frame where it attaches? (more interested in the frame)

I've had these same issues with my new frame and I attribute it to the frame. (in theory)