Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No disk Tabs!?

Pretty in Pink

No disk Tabs!?

Okay so I picked up an old beater diamondback that I would like to setup for a commuter, I have a spare set of Juicy 5's and a disc hub for it, but I dont have disc tabs on the rear only front. The bike doesn't have any brakes on it at all as the V-brakes that came with it were bent out of shape. I would like to mount a 160mm rotor and use the juicy's but am trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it, Matt (my fiance) is an aluminum welder and would be willing to help me make an adapter if we cant just buy one. I have googled it and come up empty I figured maybe you guys could point me in the right direction even if it is just a DIY link.

Thanks in advance!

~Disc~Golf~
    Hey,
    check out Brake Therapy. They have what you're looking for.
    Welding tabs on an aluminum bike isn't as simple as it might sound IMO. The specific compound would have to be known, then the frame would have to be heat-treated/annealed and then painted or powder coated - unless you're goin for that rugged look

Although, of course I think a set of V's would be cheaper and would also be adequate for a commuter - but in the end, it is your choice!

HAHA! This page has a link on it that points to MTBR reviews!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Hey,
    check out Brake Therapy. They have what you're looking for.
    Welding tabs on an aluminum bike isn't as simple as it might sound IMO. The specific compound would have to be known, then the frame would have to be heat-treated/annealed and then painted or powder coated - unless you're goin for that rugged look

Although, of course I think a set of V's would be cheaper and would also be adequate for a commuter - but in the end, it is your choice!
    Yes, which is why we were looking for an alternative, thank you SO much, I just placed an order via email since their shop page seems down.

Pretty in Pink
    Upon another google search I found a price from one of their dealers, and I dont know if I can justify $158 for a disc conversion kit on a beater commuter. Are there any other options?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron
    Yes, which is why we were looking for an alternative, thank you SO much, I just placed an order via email since their shop page seems down.
    Sure!, glad I could assist

~Disc~Golf~
    Upon another google search I found a price from one of their dealers, and I dont know if I can justify $158 for a disc conversion kit on a beater commuter. Are there any other options?
    Yeah, It's kinda pricey -
    I think I've seen something else, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll search around and post up if I find anything.

Pretty in Pink
    Yeah, It's kinda pricey -
    I think I've seen something else, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll search around and post up if I find anything.
    You rock thank you.

If nothing else I will just run hydraulic discs on the front V on the back haha.

Former Bike Wrench

~Disc~Golf~
    There's the Woodman Disco System - its $95 HERE - still kinda pricy

A2Z also makes an adapter- The DM-UNI, but it does not have a brace and can rotate - BUT, I found it HERE for $37

Google around for better prices on the Woodman is my recommendation...or maybe someone will chime in with good experiences with the A2Z
    Good Luck!!

~Disc~Golf~
    Ahh I musta been typing as mtnbiker72 replied...
    you have any experience with the A2Z man?

Pretty in Pink
    There's the Woodman Disco System - its $95 HERE - still kinda pricy

A2Z also makes an adapter- The DM-UNI, but it does not have a brace and can rotate - BUT, I found it HERE for $37

Google around for better prices on the Woodman is my recommendation...or maybe someone will chime in with good experiences with the A2Z
    Good Luck!!
    What if I braced that A2z adapter using my V-Brake mounts similar to the Brake Therapy idea, only maybe a little more ghetto?

Pretty in Pink
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

I am just going to bid on this, looks like it shouldnt rotate because of the way the back of it is designed, if I see that it needs bracing of some sort, I am sure we can come up with something. I will let you guys know how it works! thank you so much for the help.

~Disc~Golf~
    What if I braced that A2z adapter using my V-Brake mounts similar to the Brake Therapy idea, only maybe a little more ghetto?
    Hey, It's worth a shot

You might want to scour these threads too - maybe there's some more info in there.

Pretty in Pink
    Alright! thanks, I am actually excited to try this out, now I need to get my hub threaded to the existing wheel on the bike, I hate threading spokes, I am so bad at it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Alright! thanks, I am actually excited to try this out, now I need to get my hub threaded to the existing wheel on the bike, I hate threading spokes, I am so bad at it.
    Oh, you gotta lace up a wheel too? Practice makes perfect! Good luck

Is the replacement hub's flange diameter the same as the current one? Offsets?

If ya get stuck PM me if ya want (I know a little bit) or better yet Mike T - nice guy and mtbr wheel guru
    He has a nice tutorial too

Pretty in Pink
    Yeah its a pretty direct replacemet which makes life easier, its just a XT-FH M756, its 32-135mm spacing, drop in replacement for the no name that is on the wheel.

Just need to lace the damn thing up because I felt the need to bend up the wheel it was attached to. last year. so I junked the wheels and spokes kept the hubs.

~Disc~Golf~
    Right on!
    Post some pics up of the conversion when you're done - I'd love to see final result

cheers!

Pretty in Pink
    Okay well I recieved it, still waiting on my spokes to do up my disc hub but I went ahead and mounted it on the bike, it doesnt move at all, it is designed to sandwich itself around your chainstay. should only be used for traditional rear triangles, but it seems pretty universal, I have it mounded up, to a non disc wheel right now I can take photos in a bit when my camera battery charges up.

ballbuster

howzabout...

Okay so I picked up an old beater diamondback that I would like to setup for a commuter, I have a spare set of Juicy 5's and a disc hub for it, but I dont have disc tabs on the rear only front. The bike doesn't have any brakes on it at all as the V-brakes that came with it were bent out of shape. I would like to mount a 160mm rotor and use the juicy's but am trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it, Matt (my fiance) is an aluminum welder and would be willing to help me make an adapter if we cant just buy one. I have googled it and come up empty I figured maybe you guys could point me in the right direction even if it is just a DIY link.

Thanks in advance!
    ... a new frame? Sounds drastic, I know. But check this out.

Supergo/Performance bike has a frame called the Access. I picked one up on craigslist once for $70. Every now and again, you can get it on uber-sale for $99, maybe even with a 20% off coupon for not much more than $70. Cheaper than most disc adapters.

Its a great frame, too. It rode really well, its crazy light, and doesn't draw attention.

one less car
    ThePinkBaron, just to let you know, i got an A2Z on my '01 TREK 4500 and it fit/works perfectly so you shouldn't have any probs with fitting a caliper. all i need now are decent brake rather than these craptastic winzip CEs
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by B@dKarma
    ThePinkBaron, just to let you know, i got an A2Z on my '01 TREK 4500 and it fit/works perfectly so you shouldn't have any probs with fitting a caliper. all i need now are decent brake rather than these craptastic winzip CEs
    Thanks, yeah it seems to fit just fine I just hope it holds up, it certainly seems pretty rugged.

one less car
    it should if the bolts are tightened down enuff, and whether or not you have that little lever bit rotated against the seatstay, on which mine was left flat
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

The A2Z mod works great!! I used it for about a year with no problems at all and that was on pretty techy trails. You are not going to put that much stress on a rear on a commuter anyways.

Pretty in Pink
    while it is a commuter it is going to be a dirt commuter, I can take skidder trails/logging roads to work faster than I can take the main road. So I wanted to ensure that it wouldnt move.

The way my rear triangle is designed the littler lever on the A2Z doesnt even touch the seatstay because of some cargo tabs on the seatstay. I am going to see what I can do about shaving them off.
    Last edited by ThePinkBarron; 04-28-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Pretty in Pink

Modded the seat stay only slightly (shaved off a unused cargotab) to make everything fit havent ridden with it yet but I cant see it moving at all.

EDIT- and yes that is the only way I could get my caliper centered on the rotor. I did however order a new IS adapter that should make things fit right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast