Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Upset No Breaking Power

Hi all,

I have a relatively stock 06 Fisher Tassajara with Avid SD3 V-Brakes and Tektro levers. When I purchased the bike 6 months ago, the braking power was very good. I never felt I had to pull super hard to stop the bike. Now, all has changed. I'm always mashing the brakes to stop and have grown to realy hate the setup.

I've adjusted and readjusted the brakes and have also had my LBS adjust the brakes, but nothing changes. Is this a pad issue? I'm not sure what brand the pads are, but they did have great stopping power 500 miles ago. I've inspected the pads and they still have a lot of lining on them and are far from the wear line. Any ideas what I may be able to try?

I'de love to upgrade to disk at some point, but right now, this is not an option.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GF_TASS; 03-15-2007 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Replace the pads and clean the rim braking surface .

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah.. thack a scotch-brite (on the "green side") to the rims to remove left over pad material... install some new pads and adjust the brakes..that should be enough..maybe you could try some kool stop pads.. I loved them when I used Vs...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yeah.. thack a scotch-brite (on the "green side") to the rims to remove left over pad material... install some new pads and adjust the brakes..that should be enough..maybe you could try some kool stop pads.. I loved them when I used Vs...
    I wouldn't have thought of taking a scotch brite pad to the rims At this point I'll try anything... What did you like best about the Kool Stop pads?

Quote Originally Posted by GF_TASS
    I wouldn't have thought of taking a scotch brite pad to the rims At this point I'll try anything... What did you like best about the Kool Stop pads?
    If I remember correctly they seemed a lot more powerful than the stock shimano pads... it could also be the case with the avid stock pads...... kool stop has several compounds depending on the conditions you ride in...

The scotch brite thing is just to remove old pad material from the rim... you can also jam it between one pad and the rim... and pedal the bike for some meters and then jam it on the other pad...

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    If I remember correctly they seemed a lot more powerful than the stock shimano pads... it could also be the case with the avid stock pads...... kool stop has several compounds depending on the conditions you ride in...

The scotch brite thing is just to remove old pad material from the rim... you can also jam it between one pad and the rim... and pedal the bike for some meters and then jam it on the other pad...

Ditto on the Kool-Stops. And make sure your brakes are setup at the proper angles. Your brake arms should not be bent in toward the rim as the pads are engaged. They should be close to parallel. Also check the pad engagement so that you are getting full use of the pad while maintaining a slight toe-in.
    Long Live Long Rides

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    also consider re-cabling the brakes. if the cables are gunged up it can really rob the power from the "pull". this is more apparent with cable disk brakes but its applicable here too especially if you ride in wet dirty situations

neutiquam erro
    Yep. Kool-stops all the way with V's. Scotch-brite the rims regularly. Good stuff.

Here's Park's how-to for set-up.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well I scotch brited the rims, which seemed to remove quite a bit of residue I didn't know existed. There was a slight improvement, but not enough to make a difference. I ordered a set of the Kool Stop MTBs, which should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, they will take care of the issue.

mtbr member
    Good advice on resurfacing the rims. Now take some sandpaper to the brake pads. Get the glazed junk off and get to fresh pad material.

I liked the red colored kool stop pads, but I ride in dustville, not mudville.

Or a file instead of sandpaper for occasionally deglazing the pads on vbrakes.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I Love my Rize

Get these

Well I scotch brited the rims, which seemed to remove quite a bit of residue I didn't know existed. There was a slight improvement, but not enough to make a difference. I ordered a set of the Kool Stop MTBs, which should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, they will take care of the issue.

Get the Salmon koolstop pads as they are simply the best v brake pads made.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...KPADSLP/BR1226
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    Get the Salmon koolstop pads as they are simply the best v brake pads made.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...KPADSLP/BR1226
    I had ordered the salmon ones, but received black instead. The return process and shipping loss was such a hassle I stuck with the black ones. After setting them up properly and taking the bike out for a spin, I found myself thoroughly unimpressed. Breaking power has improved, but defenetely unimpressive

To make matters worse, I went with a buddy of mine for a little casual riding (haven't been able to do any serious mountain biking since I tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder) he made an ubrupt stop. Since my braking power still sucks I slammed into him and went down on the same shoulder

Soooo...no more riding clipped in and certainly no more riding untill I can pull a break lever and lock up the tires

Thanks for everyones help.

Do It Yourself
    I had ordered the salmon ones, but received black instead. The return process and shipping loss was such a hassle I stuck with the black ones. After setting them up properly and taking the bike out for a spin, I found myself thoroughly unimpressed. Breaking power has improved, but defenetely unimpressive

To make matters worse, I went with a buddy of mine for a little casual riding (haven't been able to do any serious mountain biking since I tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder) he made an ubrupt stop. Since my braking power still sucks I slammed into him and went down on the same shoulder

Soooo...no more riding clipped in and certainly no more riding untill I can pull a break lever and lock up the tires

OUCH! Sorry to hear that. If your fork has tabs and do some price searching on eBay and such, you could be into a front disc setup for about $100 ($50 for the Avid BBx disc and $50 for a front disc wheel). That will give you 75% of the performance of discs at a fraction of the cost for a whole setup. Much cheaper than doctor bills. Best wishes and heal up soon.
    Long Live Long Rides

I Love my Rize

This is your only hope

These brakes WILL do the job almost as good as disc's. I would buy the whole package as the levers are killer also. Change the pads to the Salmon inserts when you replace or do it right away if you want. Here is a link to the deal and link to the reviews on them here on this site. The reviews are dead on. They are the highest rated rim brake on this site as they are cheap as snot for the performance.

Brakes and levers....http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11986-347_AVD7K0-3-Parts-159-Brakes/VBrakes/Avid-Single-Digit-7-Brake-'06-w_Avid-Speed-Dial-7-Levers-COMBO.htm

Reviews.....http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Brake_Sy...ct_78255.shtml
    Last edited by danoalb; 03-12-2007 at 08:25 AM.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have you tried degreasing the rims, use disc brake cleaner sprayed on a rag and give them a wipe round. What are you washing the bike with? try to avoid anything with wax in it.
    Hope the shoulder get better

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    These brakes WILL do the job almost as good as disc's. I would buy the whole package as the levers are killer also. Change the pads to the Salmon inserts when you replace or do it right away if you want. Here is a link to the deal and link to the reviews on them here on this site. The reviews are dead on. They are the highest rated rim brake on this site as they are cheap as snot for the performance.

Brakes and levers....http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11986-347_AVD7K0-3-Parts-159-Brakes/VBrakes/Avid-Single-Digit-7-Brake-'06-w_Avid-Speed-Dial-7-Levers-COMBO.htm

I've been considering those. Thanks for the links, I had not come across the combo deal as yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by g-essex-r
    Have you tried degreasing the rims, use disc brake cleaner sprayed on a rag and give them a wipe round. What are you washing the bike with? try to avoid anything with wax in it.
    Hope the shoulder get better
    I don't ever remember washing my bike with anything but an ocasional spray with water. I may have washed it with automotive soap at one time, but hitting the rims with break cleaner may be a good move.

I think I got lucky with my shoulder this time. It was pretty soar after the fall and I thought I had re-injured it. Thankfully, I have full motion and much less soreness today than yesterday or even earlier today.

I Love my Rize

No good Don't mess around

I your brakes don't work that well with all that fiddling then they suck. just get the SD 7's and you WON'T regret it believe me. That price is a GREAT price. Not only that when you replace the pads they are about half the cost of normal pads (they are replaceable inserts) and you don't have to readjust anything except your barrel adjuster. THE BRAKES ARE AWESOME don't wait, you will be thanking me up and down later and wondering why you didn't do this sooner. You can scrub and scrape all you want your current brakes will still suck. You can try setting them up like this VERY IMPORTANT. If you want your brakes to grab more put the thick washers inside or move one more to the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by danoalb; 03-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have my wife's blessing to upgrade to disc. Since my bike is disc break preped I think I just may. I've seen the Avid BB5s on the web for $39 per set. Will the SD7 and Kool Stop pads outperform the BB5s?

I Love my Rize

Well

I have my wife's blessing to upgrade to disc. Since my bike is disc break preped I think I just may. I've seen the Avid BB5s on the web for $39 per set. Will the SD7 and Kool Stop pads outperform the BB5s?

Not quite but damn close. That being said I'm sure you will have to buy new wheels also as you probably don't have disc hubs so add another 150 bucks to the equation plus I would not use the cheap levers you got with the BB5 anyway so add another 30 to 40dollars to the mix. but for $89 you can get brakes with killer levers and for another 6 bucks a pair koolstop salmon pads.You will love the SD7 and brakes and levers. The disc will work better in the wet but the 7's with the salmon pads are pretty damn good in the wet. The SD7 brakes are set and forget and offer 1 finger braking. 1 finger is all I EVER use in ALL conditions. I would also get the Jagwire Ripchord brake cable set as the are slick as glass. They almost make the brakes feel like hydro's (like sqeezing air).

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

as danoalb said you have to consider the wheels.... so check you hubs, some bikes now ship with disc hubs regardless of the type of brakes they come stock with.. so you might be ready already..

MTB B'dos

All right...............

.............I've sat by and watched this thread and everyone's responses now for long enough that the OP should have picked up on the fact that the reason he's having so much trouble breaking is because he's trying to use brakes to do it - get it right and get DISC BRAKES.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

The deal and reviews on these sold me. I really wanted to go with the disc brakes, but they would have cost me more than I'm "allowed" to spend at the moment. I suspect they will solve the problem, as I've been on bikes with some sweet rim brakes in the past.

I Love my Rize

Good choice

GF great choice. I would put the salmon inserts in as soon as possible being not only do they stop better in ALL CONDITION but they are VERY RIM FRIENDLY. You won't get those grinding sounds with the salmon pads. The stock pads are alright the the koolstops salmon blow them out of the water.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...DSLPINS/BR2148

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast