mtbr member
    Dec 2008

No brake spring holes on fork?

I just bought a used Marzocchi fork (For my winter bike), and it has the tabs with threaded holes for attaching V-brake posts, but those tabs lack the little side holes for holding the brake spring in position. Does this mean I can't run V-brakes on this fork, or is there a way around it? If not, why are those tabs even there?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    By tabs I assume you are talking about the actual posts on the fork right?
    On some of the older Marz forks - post 2000 though - there was a bolt that was in the place where the posts can screw in, and often the posts weren't mounted but came with the fork separately. I have seen some that didn't have the spring hole for some reason though (maybe to drop a gram or two?), mainly because many later V Brakes didn't require one, although many still did.
    It might be helpful if you can narrow it down with a model and year or a photo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    By tabs, I mean the little flanges on the inside of the lowers, that the posts screw into (Mine is one of those older ones you described where the posts are separate, it's an '05-ish EXR). Perhaps I just need a different front brake? The current one is a Tektro, that DOES need the little hole to hold its spring in place. After some Googling, I found that there IS a stud and post kit that one can order, but I wanted to avoid that - It's just a cheap winter beater!

mtbr member
    It might be best to figure out which is cheapest for you - or if there is enough room on the tab, try drilling a hole yourself.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This issue is simple to fix if you have the tools at hand.

Find a washer that's about 24mm in diameter, 1mm thick with a hole that's just wide enough to fit past the threaded part of the v-brake boss.

Assemble the brake caliper arm onto the boss. Place the washer onto the threaded end and mark the point where it touches the tip of the spring. This is where you drill a small hole into (or cut a slot up to from the outside edge) into the washer.

Now, you could either grind the washer into a nice rounded triangular shape, then bolt it onto the fork under the boss or bolt it onto the fork first then shape it.

Put a small spot of epoxy resin on the underside (where it can't be seen fron the front) to bond the washer to the fork. Leave for 24 hours and then you will be ready to fit the v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks! A guy at the LBS suggested something along those lines, also.

Dirt Deviant
    I would just buy the proper kit from marz. Look on ebay too.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yup, that's what I did (From the LBS)!