Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    Newbie Seek help...

    Hi this is my first post in this forum

    So, I got an haro escape 8.2,it came with Hayes mx 1 cable disc brakes.

    My problem is that the brake ring is always in contact with the pad.Is this normal?in manual owner they say that brakes need to be burned and they can make noise.

    Do I have anything to fix?

    Thanks alot.

  2. #2
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomis
    Hi this is my first post in this forum
    So, I got an haro escape 8.2,it came with Hayes mx 1 cable disc brakes.
    My problem is that the brake ring is always in contact with the pad.Is this normal?in manual owner they say that brakes need to be burned and they can make noise.
    Do I have anything to fix?
    Thanks alot.
    Hi Nomis! Welcome to mtbr and especially the Brakes section, the 2nd home for some of us. Stick around as there are some talented brake posters here. For starters make sure you read our FAQ linked at the top right of this page. It won't have the specific info you seek but it will give you a good understanding of disc brakes in general. Secondly, most disc brake makers have setup and maintenance info on their sites. Read their stuff, bookmark it and perform the setup and adjustment steps to a 'T' - most brake problems stem from improper setup. Become your own expert brake mechanic and eventally you will trust no-one to touch your brakes. It's tough to tell the experts from the bluffers so put yourself in the postion where you don't have to worry about that one.

    Third, you might get a poster here who will have the particular info you seek. Your problem is not normal and is a setup problem. I'm not an expert on your brake but if you get the caliper set right and then the pads adjusted properly and the rotor true (many aren't and it's not a big deal to make it true) then you're all set.

    Pull up a chair Nomis and enjoy the site and the forum. Mtbr and its Brakes section is the best place to be, next to being out on the trails.

    Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Hi Nomis! Welcome to mtbr and especially the Brakes section, the 2nd home for some of us. Stick around as there are some talented brake posters here. For starters make sure you read our FAQ linked at the top right of this page. It won't have the specific info you seek but it will give you a good understanding of disc brakes in general. Secondly, most disc brake makers have setup and maintenance info on their sites. Read their stuff, bookmark it and perform the setup and adjustment steps to a 'T' - most brake problems stem from improper setup. Become your own expert brake mechanic and eventally you will trust no-one to touch your brakes. It's tough to tell the experts from the bluffers so put yourself in the postion where you don't have to worry about that one.

    Third, you might get a poster here who will have the particular info you seek. Your problem is not normal and is a setup problem. I'm not an expert on your brake but if you get the caliper set right and then the pads adjusted properly and the rotor true (many aren't and it's not a big deal to make it true) then you're all set.

    Pull up a chair Nomis and enjoy the site and the forum. Mtbr and its Brakes section is the best place to be, next to being out on the trails.

    Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)

    Thanks Mike,

    Ive found good info on haye site,I also found that the problem is caused because the front wheel disc is in contact with the inner pad.

    I got alot of reading to do thanks for directing me to the FAQ's

    Have a nice day

  4. #4
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomis
    Ive found good info on haye site,I also found that the problem is caused because the front wheel disc is in contact with the inner pad. I got alot of reading to do
    Thet ya go Nomis! You're a semi expert already!

    Knowledge is power.

    Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Last edited by Mike T.; 04-11-2005 at 08:30 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Similar Threads

  1. platform-pedal newbie: what to look for?
    By PiroChu in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
  2. i am a newbie to the 2nine-er thing...
    By kool- beans in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 01:40 AM
  3. Overwelming for a newbie, where to start?
    By noonievut in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 05:39 PM
  4. newbie needs help!!!
    By Overclocker in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 10:50 PM
  5. newbie needs GF frame advice
    By darin in forum Trek
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •