mtbr member
    May 2009

Newbie Disk Brake Questions

Hi
    I am not an experienced disk brake person. I have just installed a new front Avid Juicy 7 Carbon system. All was fine with the provided 160mm rotor but I have just fitted a new 185mm rotor and the pads now rub. The rotor is and avid rotor and im running avid pads. It only rubs a little but it does rub. The pad wear adjustment does not fix the problem. Any ideas on how to fix it?

2nd problem. The Lever pad wear adjustment has to be set to maximum to make the brakes work. If I back it off the lever pulls all the way to the handle bar and does not full engage the pads. This is with new pads installed. Does this mean it needs more oil? can I use any oil? Will it need bleeding?

Thanks
    kev

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I'm assuming you used a new adapter for 185mm rotors on the caliper when you changed the rotor size?
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, I put the correct adapter on. It only rubs a little, I wondered if this was normal until the pads wore down?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    New pads rubbing is not normal. You probably need to spread the pads farther apart (they will reset to the correct spacing when you use them) and align the caliper.

FYI...Juicy 7's do not have a "pad wear adjustment" knob. The knob adjusts the point in the lever travel where you feel the brakes engage. It does not move the pads.

"2nd problem"...You need to bleed the brake. This requires an Avid bleed kit and it comes with the DOT 5.1 brake fluid needed. Juicy 7's do not use oil.

I suggest you take it to your lbs and have them do the work.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks.