Thumbs Up!

Newbie disc brake set up ?

Hello I was wondering if this frame would accept disc brakes? Is the hole on the left side dropout there for some type of bolt on adapter?? If so what all is needed? Thanks!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    is that full suspension frame? the adapter might not work on that (though I have never tried it).

EDIT: i have searched a long time on craigslist for a few frames with disc mounts in back and i have come to the conclusion that rear discs are A: unnecessary and B: more work than they're worth. most of your braking power will be from your front disc, especially if you're a lightweight like me. in fact, when i'm braking really hard on a downhill and i use my rear too much, it makes me fishtail really easily. not fun. keep the v brakes. IMHO i guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rajan
    is that full suspension frame? the adapter might not work on that (though I have never tried it).

EDIT: i have searched a long time on craigslist for a few frames with disc mounts in back and i have come to the conclusion that rear discs are A: unnecessary and B: more work than they're worth. most of your braking power will be from your front disc, especially if you're a lightweight like me. in fact, when i'm braking really hard on a downhill and i use my rear too much, it makes me fishtail really easily. not fun. keep the v brakes. IMHO i guess.
    It is a hardtail, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a fully. I would rather hear it from someone who has tried it though. I agree about the need for discs on the back. You could save some $, and get good performance with disc up front and v in rear.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Originally Posted by rajan
    Originally Posted by slowpoker
    I don't see why it wouldn't work on a fully. I would rather hear it from someone who has tried it though.
    Some of the current Kona dual suspension bikes are using something that they call the D.O.P.E. System which is basically a Brake Therapy Disc Brake Converter.
    Brake Therapy: http://www.therapycomponents.com/BRAKETHERAPY.htm
    Kona Stinky Deluxe with D.O.P.E.: http://www.konaworld.com/09_stinkydeluxe_en.cfm

I agree also about it being fine to have a V-Brake on the rear and a Disc on the front, it wasn't too long ago that bikes were sold with this set up.
    Bike with V and Disc: http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/cn/catalogue_popup.asp?sPageID=popup&popuptype=zoom&modelid=9511

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    jeez one of the pictures on the homepage on the http://www.therapycomponents.com/BRAKETHERAPY.htm site looks like it's almost exactly your bike.

My previous thinking was that if it was a FS setup then you wouldn't get as many stable places to mount an adapter. Irrelevant now though. Looks like this one actually uses your v brake mount as a stabilizer.

mtbr member
    specialized made an adapter specifically for their FSR bikes, might be worth checking with them to see if still available.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Engineer The Future Now!
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker
    It is a hardtail, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a fully. I would rather hear it from someone who has tried it though. I agree about the need for discs on the back. You could save some $, and get good performance with disc up front and v in rear.
    I'm far from an expert, but the frame being labeled "fully active 4-bar suspension," led me to believe that it was FS.
    holy...

Thumbs Up!
    Thanks all for the info and links!
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson