mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Newbie. 180mm to 203mm Rotor upgrade?

I have Shimano M-395 hydraulic brakes that came stock on my Cube LTD. 180mm rotor in the front, 160mm rear.

On long descents it sometimes feels that I don't have enough stopping power, but the terrain is rough and it is far from smooth surface and maybe I'm a little too scared to push brakes harder because it might send me over the bar.

I can't shell out lots for upgrades right now, so I was curious if I will be in a slightly better place with larger rotor in the front? I was thinking 203mm Icetech by Shimano.

Again, I'm not after Hyundai Accent all the way to BMW M5 brakes kind of upgrade, but a little improvement would be just right for me right now at the places I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Personally I would just save for a good set of SLX or XT brakes. Also, you need to make sure that your fork can handle a 203mm rotor. I'm sure you can find deals since 2014 stuff should arrive soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. Fork is certified up to 210mm. If I get an XT or SLX setup, should I keep the stock rotor? Or would that without a doubt will have to be upgraded to a bigger one?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, in some cases you might get rotor with the set of new brakes.. But honestly if your rotors are in good condition then keep them. 180mm rotor is optimal size for everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run a 203 front and 180 rear on my XC bike. If you are above average in weight and ride hard no reason not to run larger rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I weigh 223 right now, and also went up to a 203/180 combo. As far as the feeling you might go OTB when going down steep sections, try a dropper seat post if you don't already have one. It made a big difference for me, and honestly allows me to stay off my brakes more, instead of riding them quite so much. If I do have to pulse the brakes or hit them hard, I do not have the feeling of going OTB because my weight is way lower, and further back behind the seat. Also, a shorter stem made a big difference for me as well.

mtbr member
    to ensure that you are less likely to go OTB, drop your heels when you are going downhill, so that your weight pushes the BB and the rear wheel down, instead of your weight pushing the front wheel down...