mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New XT Set on the way, question?

Hello, I just ordered a set of XT M785 Brakes for my bike and also got the 203fr and 180rr XT Ice Tech Rotors and I-spec conversion kit to go with it. Question is, did I need to get the large rotors? I always assumed that being a big rider (235lbs), I would need them but even with my stock Tektro Draco 180fr/180rr's on there the bike stops pretty well. They do fade at times and are noisy so that and the fact that I just upgraded my components to XT prompted the change. Besides the added weight I cant see any reason not to? My new fork is rated to use the 203mm rotor on they sure look cool too.

mtbr member
    ^^ coolness factor must always be considered.. that aside sure WTHeck not as modulation is part of the equation and thats always a good thing.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    Hello, I just ordered a set of XT M785 Brakes for my bike and also got the 203fr and 180rr XT Ice Tech Rotors and I-spec conversion kit to go with it. Question is, did I need to get the large rotors? I always assumed that being a big rider (235lbs), I would need them but even with my stock Tektro Draco 180fr/180rr's on there the bike stops pretty well. They do fade at times and are noisy so that and the fact that I just upgraded my components to XT prompted the change. Besides the added weight I cant see any reason not to? My new fork is rated to use the 203mm rotor on they sure look cool too.
    If you see no reason not, then go ahead. I run 160 rear and 180 front with my XTs and they stop me just fine, but I also weight 185 w/ gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have the same setup, Shimano XT M785 with 203 front and 180 rear. I don't see any reason why you'll regret going bigger up front. I'm a heavy guy too, (270 w gear). I ride some fairly long descents, and I wouldn't go with rotors any smaller. You'll like the extra power.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I think you will be just fine if not even better. I run 160/160 XT's and I'm 245 on a 30 lb bike and the performance is awesome.

mtbr member
    190 here all geared up. 180 ice tech F and R. Not experiencing any fade issues, but I may jump the front to a 200 when I wear the existing rotor out (Just because, thats why).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well my question has been answered after my 1st ride with these new brakes. I have no regrets! It stops so good I just keep stopping so I can feel the braking power. Looks awesome too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    Well my question has been answered after my 1st ride with these new brakes. I have no regrets! It stops so good I just keep stopping so I can feel the braking power. Looks awesome too.
    And another satisfied customer.

I am still waiting to find someone that hates their new Shimano XT / XTR after one ride and wants to sell em to me as a spare set for 1/2 price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    And another satisfied customer.

I am still waiting to find someone that hates their new Shimano XT / XTR after one ride and wants to sell em to me as a spare set for 1/2 price.
    Don't think that will ever happen!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Convince them to buy Saint/Zee brakes.
    Buy their old XT/XTR brakes after they get addicted to the power & control of Shimano's DH brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Convince them to buy Saint/Zee brakes.
    Buy their old XT/XTR brakes after they get addicted to the power & control of Shimano's DH brakes.
    Well, if you wanna get serious about brakes, and weight is not a priority then one MUST try out a set of Magura Gustavs. If I still had a gravity oriented bike I would put the set on that I have saved in my toolbox.

mtbr member
    There are only two reasons I can think of for you not to go with the larger rotors: weight and cost. I doubt the extra weight of larger rotors matters to a large rider. You'd probably appreciate the stopping power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    There are only two reasons I can think of for you not to go with the larger rotors: weight and cost. I doubt the extra weight of larger rotors matters to a large rider. You'd probably appreciate the stopping power.
    Like you said, no reason not to. I'm 235 geared with M785 & IceTech 203/180, and I must say it is perfection. And for once, a SILENT ride with those Ice Techs. It feels great to not having to worry about my brakes since I got this setup