Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New wheelset, Stroker Trails won't stop dragging.

I picked up a new wheel set for my bike and got some new rotors to put on as well. Thought was that I would have two usable wheel sets anytime I wanted. I'm having some problems with the front brake though. Same rotor as the old wheel set, but it keeps dragging no matter how I fiddle with it. Looking in to the caliper with the rotor between the pads it looks as if there is absolutely no room. Any solution to this?

jalepenio jimenez
    Try pushing the caliper pistons deeper/back into their seat in the caliper body. When they are fully retracted, you should have plenty of room for the rotor.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    What you describe doesn't make sense to me. The new rotor should only be negligibly thicker. Only thing I can think of is the hub/rotor spacing is different so you'll need to realign calipers.

try this:
    -push pistons back
    -loosen mount bolts
    -squeeze lever (may take a couple squeezes to clamp on rotor)
    -then tighten mount bolts (while still squeezing lever) making sure you don't screw up the alignment while tightening. you can tighten each bolt a little at a time to make sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    Try pushing the caliper pistons deeper/back into their seat in the caliper body. When they are fully retracted, you should have plenty of room for the rotor.
    That seemed to help a little but they are still dragging slightly, not once per revolution or something like that, but constantly throughout the revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    What you describe doesn't make sense to me. The new rotor should only be negligibly thicker. Only thing I can think of is the hub/rotor spacing is different so you'll need to realign calipers.

try this:
    -push pistons back
    -loosen mount bolts
    -squeeze lever (may take a couple squeezes to clamp on rotor)
    -then tighten mount bolts (while still squeezing lever) making sure you don't screw up the alignment while tightening. you can tighten each bolt a little at a time to make sure
    I've done this many times before (-pushing pistons back, which I just tried a couple times.) And tried a few more a minute ago, but I am still getting the same results, a dragging throughout the revolution.

ride hard take risks
    Get two .015 feeler gauges stick them between the pads and rotor. Put a section of hose on the bleed nipple on the caliper then open the bleed, fluid should rise into the hose. Snug bleed carefully remove hose have a rag handy because the fluid will drain out the hose. Remove the feeler gauges go ride.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Get two .015 feeler gauges stick them between the pads and rotor. Put a section of hose on the bleed nipple on the caliper then open the bleed, fluid should rise into the hose. Snug bleed carefully remove hose have a rag handy because the fluid will drain out the hose. Remove the feeler gauges go ride.
    Thanks dogon, I'll have to try that later tonight (off to go help someone with some wiring in their house). Where can I get a .015 Feeler gauge? I'm assuming it's just a metal shim. Something harbor freight might have?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Munin2889
    Thanks dogon, I'll have to try that later tonight (off to go help someone with some wiring in their house). Where can I get a .015 Feeler gauge? I'm assuming it's just a metal shim. Something harbor freight might have?
    You got it, they are used for checking valve lash and such, one person said if you drink a beer then cut the aluminum fold it in half it's dang close, I havent tried this yet but sounds logical.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/cat...ler-gauge-sets
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    You got it, they are used for checking valve lash and such, one person said if you drink a beer then cut the aluminum fold it in half it's dang close, I havent tried this yet but sounds logical.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/cat...ler-gauge-sets
    isnt coke the same can - do you guys drink so much more beer than coke that a can = beer can

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    isnt coke the same can - do you guys drink so much more beer than coke that a can = beer can
    Coke cans are different, all correct measurements are done by beer.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    Have you checked that the caliper's side to side adjustment is not maxed out?

mtbr member
    The stroker trail doesn't have a pad contact adjustment. Harbor freight closes at 8 and wiring took longer then expected, looks like another project for tomorrow.

Also, dogon, I don't have any cans here, beer or otherwise, haha.

ride hard take risks
    The stroker trail doesn't have a pad contact adjustment. Harbor freight closes at 8 and wiring took longer then expected, looks like another project for tomorrow.

Also, dogon, I don't have any cans here, beer or otherwise, haha.
    Putty knife about .022, razor blade for sheet rock knife .027. Going thicker increases lever freeplay thinner decreases.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Putty knife about .022, razor blade for sheet rock knife .027. Going thicker increases lever freeplay thinner decreases.
    How many times folded over for aluminum foil? I'm guessing 6 or so?

Dirt Deviant
    Just go buy a 6 pack, slam it all, then afterwards, it won't matter anymore.....hehehe.
    It's so much better to just get feeler gauges like dog said.
    I bought 2 sets and keep em in the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Just go buy a 6 pack, slam it all, then afterwards, it won't matter anymore.....hehehe.
    It's so much better to just get feeler gauges like dog said.
    I bought 2 sets and keep em in the shop.

Haha, I wish I could, not 21 yet, April 25th I will be. I plan on stopping to get a set tomorrow after my morning ride.

ride hard take risks
    Haha, I wish I could, not 21 yet, April 25th I will be. I plan on stopping to get a set tomorrow after my morning ride.
    Ohhh I see your a sweet innocent angel of paradise and has never nor even thunk about having a brew till your of proper age.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Ohhh I see your a sweet innocent angel of paradise and has never nor even thunk about having a brew till your of proper age.
    Did I say anything about not downing my fair share? I just can't go into a store and buy some. Which sucks. You can go ahead and keep thinking I'm a sweet little innocent angel though haha, I'm sure the ones who raised me would approve.

ride hard take risks
    Make ya a deal you fly out here with your bike clean up the wiring in my house I'll set up your brakes for free.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Make ya a deal you fly out here with your bike clean up the wiring in my house I'll set up your brakes for free.
    Halfsies on the plane ticket? My buddy just moved in to this place, and the wiring is ridiculous: breaker boxes main labels for the house are bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen. It's a 4 bedroom, 1 bath upstairs, living, dining, half bath downstairs. Haven't touched the downstairs stuff yet, but when we started, the bathroom breaker supplied the upstairs bath, 1 bedroom and half of another. The kitchen one was supplying half of the bedroom upstairs, and the hallway upstairs. The bedroom has got two bedrooms and one light downstairs. And apparently nothing is supplying the last bedroom because there is a random switch that turns it on and off. Electrical nightmare.

ride hard take risks
    Halfsies on the plane ticket? My buddy just moved in to this place, and the wiring is ridiculous: breaker boxes main labels for the house are bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen. It's a 4 bedroom, 1 bath upstairs, living, dining, half bath downstairs. Haven't touched the downstairs stuff yet, but when we started, the bathroom breaker supplied the upstairs bath, 1 bedroom and half of another. The kitchen one was supplying half of the bedroom upstairs, and the hallway upstairs. The bedroom has got two bedrooms and one light downstairs. And apparently nothing is supplying the last bedroom because there is a random switch that turns it on and off. Electrical nightmare.
    Sounds like my house. We had a short that would lose lights to one bedroom or bedroom closet intermittently only during a rainy day. Called a budy to come over when it went out as soon as he pulled up they turned on. Come to find out when vacuuming one day it's the wall plug in the joining bedroom. They ran the wiring to light bedroom 1 then the wall plug of bedroom 2 to the closet light of bedroom 3.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Sounds like my house. We had a short that would lose lights to one bedroom or bedroom closet intermittently only during a rainy day. Called a budy to come over when it went out as soon as he pulled up they turned on. Come to find out when vacuuming one day it's the wall plug in the joining bedroom. They ran the wiring to light bedroom 1 then the wall plug of bedroom 2 to the closet light of bedroom 3.
    I don't get that sort of stuff, If I were building a house: one breaker switch per room, one switch for larger appliances, pair the washer dryer, fridge stove, stuff like that. Then if I needed to add any more boxes, just tie into preexisting lines for that room. People are illogical.

ride hard take risks
    I don't get that sort of stuff, If I were building a house: one breaker switch per room, one switch for larger appliances, pair the washer dryer, fridge stove, stuff like that. Then if I needed to add any more boxes, just tie into preexisting lines for that room. People are illogical.
    Since were on electricity hows the fluid coming.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Since were on electricity hows the fluid coming.
    Hmm, well about that... I had to go back to help my buddy again, I've been in and out of the apartment doing stuff all day including my orbital mechanics homework, and by the time I was finally finished with everything else I needed to do, wouldn't you know it every store was closed. No feeler gauge today. Hopefully tomorrow won't be so eventful.

ride hard take risks
    Hmm, well about that... I had to go back to help my buddy again, I've been in and out of the apartment doing stuff all day including my orbital mechanics homework, and by the time I was finally finished with everything else I needed to do, wouldn't you know it every store was closed. No feeler gauge today. Hopefully tomorrow won't be so eventful.
    I would think that plane ticket is looking worse, Ok lets try this you pay the ticket I cover the labor, parts, room and board plus brake set-up only thing you need to do is electrical plus parts. Sounds like a great deal for you now.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    Nowhere did I say that the brake has a pad contact adjustment. I said the caliper has a side to side adjustment. Are you sure that you know how to adjust these brakes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast