mtbr member
    Jan 2009

new v-brakes - avid sd 7 vs. sd sl vs. xtr

i'm thinking its time to replace my v-brakes (xt v-brake 98 - parallel push mechanism) because i am noticing some movement in the front, maybe the rear too, but definetly the front. doing my homework on this and i've decided on the avid single digit 7, single digit sl and shimano xtr. i am only considering the xtr because of the parallel push mechanism, but they are really only a thought seeing that i would probably end up with play in them as i have with my existing brakes (although, i don't expect to have the bike long enough for this to be an issue) and they are pricey - but i would like to hear opinions. i'm open to the paul componets motolite but the price and initial setup make me wary. for me, it really comes down to the avid's - single digit 7 and single digit sl. any differences between the 07', 08' and 09' models (can find some great deals on the older models, but they don't say much of any difference). would really love opinions. oh, and disc brakes are not an option.

fyi - will use either the single digit 7 or single digit sl brake levers, no matter what set i go with and will use kool stop pads.

mtbr member
    Avid SD SL hands down, lightest of the three and have great power, I have seen too many Shimano brakes with parallel push come through my shop squealing and howling form the slop in the parallel mechanism. The SD 7's are great, I'm pretty sure the only difference is a Ti bolt kit
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    I'd get the Avid SL brakes and levers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    any reason why the sl over the 7's? i'm looking at them more closely and i'm it looks like i would save 80 grams between the 7's and sl's, but the sl's are gonna cost me $50-$85 more (7's i can get a set for $70 - $100 and sl's i can get a set for $150-$165). is there a performance difference between the two?

mtbr member
    The performance should be the same but the SL are lighter. Less weight = more money.
    If you don't care about weight buy the SD7's and hit the trails.