mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New Sram XX (2012) brakes Squealing Like Pigs before breakfast

I just purchased a brand new 2012 Trek Remedy which comes with XX brakes. I have done 5 rides on them - big rides - and the first couple of rides they were fine, but my last ride the were doing the turkey gurggle thing, binding up slightly, losing all power and squealing embarrassing loud. Have others had this problem, do these brakes suck, is there a way to fix them other than buying XTR trail brakes. Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Aren't they Avids, what's the question?

Knollician
    New rotors. I have the 2013 XXs on my Knolly. I would rather not replace them as they are stupid light. I have tried many different pads with no success. I had a set of Hope floating rotors sitting around which I tried. Dead silent now, and they have been for over a month. They have some extra power as well as the brake track on the Hope is bigger.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Aren't they Avids, what's the question?
    Standard issue avids, if you find a solution you'll be rich.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    I just purchased a brand new 2012 Trek Remedy which comes with XX brakes. I have done 5 rides on them - big rides - and the first couple of rides they were fine, but my last ride the were doing the turkey gurggle thing, binding up slightly, losing all power and squealing embarrassing loud. Have others had this problem, do these brakes suck, is there a way to fix them other than buying XTR trail brakes. Thanks for any feedback.
    budget for replacements, when the pistons start to stick and won't retract it is such a horrible pita to try,unsuccessfully, to fix

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In my experience this is caused by one of 3 things, pads not properly bed-n (you should be good do to not making noise first 2 rides, bad alignment, sticking piston from grime buildup. I would pull wheel and pads slowly pull lever and see if a piston is sticking if so use a screwdriver to hold the working piston and pull lever to press out other piston, don't go to far, stop before halfway through the caliper. use dot 5.1 fluid to lube and clean piston with a Que-tip. Press piston back in and see if both pistons now work properly if not repeat. This should fix the problem. Had to due this twice with mine.

mtbr member

Only fix I found was a swap to Shimano. I just went through this - brand new 2012 XX brakes... tried a bunch I things.... gave up an went with all Shimano - front and rear, from lever to pad. The Avid stuff is crap. Sorry.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member

Make ^that^ XO.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Had asset of XX in my blur. I didn't HATE them, but I was not super happy with them. Bought a set of Hope X2s a few weeks ago. Lets just say I don't miss the avids one bit. Better adjustability, quieter, smoother, stronger. They're probably heavier but I don't care. The avids were a pain in the ass to bleed too. I haven't bled the Hopes yet but it looks sure easy.

Planning to sell my XXs if anyone is interested