thread crapper
    Feb 2008

New Shimano brakes?

So, I saw something interesting this morn. Shimano has pulled the 988 (Trail) version of their brake kit off their sales page (yes, I work in the industry). So, I did some digging and kicked some of my contacts around to see what was up. I waterboarded a few even. One of them says he's hearing that Shimano is discontinuing the brakes and going to be bringing out something new. Will we see it at Sea Otter, or will we have to wait for I-bike? What are they going to improve?

mtbr member
    Nobody announces anything new at interbike anymore..........

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Right, so when do we see it? I checked again this morn and the trail version is now for sure listed as a closeout by Shimano. Are they going to put out a 4 pot version to compete with SRAM's new brakes? To me, the Zee and Saint fill that role, but if they came out with a really light version, I'd be interested to try it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    Are they going to put out a 4 pot version to compete with SRAM's new brakes? To me, the Zee and Saint fill that role, but if they came out with a really light version, I'd be interested to try it.
    Just update the old M755 XT, lighten it up a bit, slap some ceramic pistons and servowave levers on it, have ice-tech pads as an option, and there you go. I'd buy them if they did that, well, I would if I didn't already have the Saints & Zees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Just update the old M755 XT, lighten it up a bit, slap some ceramic pistons and servowave levers on it, have ice-tech pads as an option, and there you go.
    Grimeca might complain if Shimano did this as they developed the M755s and Shimano (and others) manufacturered them under licence.

Tim

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Just saw an update on Shimano's facebook page of some new stuff. It looks like they're going to downsize the "finned" rotor that was Saint level for use with XTR. Also looks like the caliper is 2 piece instead of one like it is now. Can't really tell much else from the pictures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    New XTR components, including brakes, unveiled at se otter: First Look: Shimano Refocuses on its Cross-Country XTR Components - Sea Otter 2013 - Pinkbike

Category Winner
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    carbon tubular wheelsets. Weight weenie extreme.

mtbr member
    But no signs of the XTR level "trail" brakes anymore. I guess the new XT stuff is pretty much the same as the XTR trail, except at a better pricepoint. Hooray for trickle down tech!