mtbr member

New rotors when switching brakes?

I'll be getting some Shimano XT's to replace my Juicy 5's. I currently have having rotors and they are in great shape. Is it necessary to replace my rotors when I change brakes or can I run them until they need to be replaced?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    I'll be getting some Shimano XT's to replace my Juicy 5's. I currently have having rotors and they are in great shape. Is it necessary to replace my rotors when I change brakes or can I run them until they need to be replaced?
    If you can feel grooves or other deformities in the rotor just ditch them and start new.

With that, I've done every good pads bad rotor, bad pads good rotor combo you can imagine. Biggest issue was squeal. In the end all stopped very well no matter what.

You'll love the xt over the j5s. What an upgrade. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have been told if you switch to the new xt or xtr brakes you should definitely get the ice-tech rotors by shimano

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I have been told if you switch to the new xt or xtr brakes you should definitely get the ice-tech rotors by shimano
    I've been running the new XT's for a year now, with Avid G2 and G3 rotors without any issue whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    try it with the rotors you have.. If they squeal-- then replace with the ice techs.. If they are quiet-- then your all good..

With saying that-- i got xt brakes and kept my avid rotors... Worked for a while but then started to squeal and i coudlnt get rid of it... Ended up putting on the icetech rotors and not only does everything run quiet now-- i also find there is a bit more modulation and feel in the brakes.. So if i was to do it all again-- id just put the icetechs right on when i got the new brakes.. One of those things you live and learn whats best for you with..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There is no such requirement. I've been using the same rotors on 5 or so brakesets without problems. You simply need to bed in the pads each time you uncouple a mated pad/rotor. A minor hassle.

BTW - if new brakes meant new rotors, then new pads would also mean new rotors. Such approach is fine from a manufacturer's POV, but kind of silly really. Personally, I have yet to replace a rotor which was worn out. I usually replace them when bored with the design, selling a wheelset or replacing a damaged one. All that in 7 or so years.

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody. I'll just run my current rotors and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Ok, a follow up to this post: I have my new brakes. Do I need new post-mounts for the calipers that are brand specific? I've just switched from Avid Juicy's to Shimano XT's.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I thought the rotor diameter determined which adapter mount you used, not the calipers?

mtbr member
    Ok, a follow up to this post: I have my new brakes. Do I need new post-mounts for the calipers that are brand specific? I've just switched from Avid Juicy's to Shimano XT's.
    If you don't change the rotor sizes then you should be ok. I just swapped a shimano XT for a failed Hayes Prime and it took 15 minutes. It would have taken 10 if I hadn't scanned the manual. The little plastic cap stays over the bleed nipple on the caliper and evidently it's normal for there to be a little oil under the cap left from the factory bleed process.
    Mount the new caliper but keep it loosely attached to the post so that it can move fairly freely. Take two business cards and slide them between each brake pad and the rotor. Squeeze the brake and while keeping the brake squeezed tighten the caliper mounting bolts. Release brake and remove business cards. In an ideal world your caliper is now perfectly mounted.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    If you don't change the rotor sizes then you should be ok. I just swapped a shimano XT for a failed Hayes Prime and it took 15 minutes. It would have taken 10 if I hadn't scanned the manual. The little plastic cap stays over the bleed nipple on the caliper and evidently it's normal for there to be a little oil under the cap left from the factory bleed process.
    Mount the new caliper but keep it loosely attached to the post so that it can move fairly freely. Take two business cards and slide them between each brake pad and the rotor. Squeeze the brake and while keeping the brake squeezed tighten the caliper mounting bolts. Release brake and remove business cards. In an ideal world your caliper is now perfectly mounted.
    What's the deal with the business cards?
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    I have been taught by a bike mechanic to use the business cards to avoid rubbing brakes. In my experience the cards have worked several times. I think if everything is brand new and perfectly aligned then the business cards won't be necessary but won't hurt. On the other extreme, they won't fix a warped rotor.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks. I was mainly wondering if I should mount them with the bolts and spacers used on my avids or the bolts supplied with the Shimanos and no spacers. I figured the rotor size should work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ive had minor issues with shimano calipers and tektro rotors that was remedied by throwing an extra washer between the caliper and the mount. you may or may not have issues. mount em up and see if you hear any rubbing going on

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My rotors are making a whirring sound with each revolution. I think they may be warped from overheating/hard braking. Is that possible?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomer25 View Post
    My rotors are making a whirring sound with each revolution. I think they may be warped from overheating/hard braking. Is that possible?
    If your rotors are making noise without braking then they are warped or your calipers are mis-aligned.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    You dont rally need to get new rotors....but at least clean them very well with OH or brake cleaner. You should go thru the proper bedding/breaking in of the new pads.

bolts are bolts....i would use the new ones, but I dont think it matters as long as everything fits properly.