mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New rotors + New pad mandatory?

Hey all, simple question, I probably already know the answer. My rotors are badly warped and I am replacing them, question is do I HAVE to replace the pads at the same time? What if the pads are relatively new? Thanks!

-Brian

Bodhisattva
    No. I see no reason to replace the pads & I've switched rotors lots of times.
    Sometimes I resurfaced the pads by gently rubbing them across 200 grit sandpaper & then rebeddding them in.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

A wheelist
    Yep.....................Squeak's right. Rub the pads on some nice sandpaper on a flat surface until you've removed all the old shine. Re-bed and you're in bizzness.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer brake tips

Quote Originally Posted by steep creeker
    Hey all, simple question, I probably already know the answer. My rotors are badly warped and I am replacing them, question is do I HAVE to replace the pads at the same time? What if the pads are relatively new? Thanks!

-Brian
    Although it is not absolutely necessary, I would definitely recommend replacing the pads. Pads wear based on the rotor surface...sort of like how a chain and the cassette sprockets wear at the same rate. I haven't seen how bad your rotors are but for the minimal price of under $20 for a set of pads (ours are $16.99 msrp) you will probably save yourself a bunch of hassle down the road by switching them out now to a nice, fresh set. For the same reason you should not put a brand new cassette on a badly worn chain I would replace 'em.
    Galfer USA

mtbr member

-Brian
    The only reason you would HAVE to replace the pads at the same time would be if they are worn out, or contaminated. Just remember that there will be a period of time where the pads will be "breaking in" and bedding themselves to the new rotors (braking power will be down slightly for this period of time). Once broken in you are good to go.

Just Ride!
    I used the old Avid pads with my new Braking brand wavy rotors and had no problems.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    (ours are $16.99 msrp)
    wow.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

-Brian
    In the auto racing world, you never replace pads and rotors at the same time. A new rotor always gets broken in pads and vice versa. It takes a lot longer for new pads and rotors to bed in properly. So, in my opinion, you are fine and probably better off with your slightly used pads with the new rotors.

I like air!

-Brian
    The only reason you would change them both at the same time is if your pads had deep groves you would put groves in your new rotor. Thats why when you replace pads on a car you resurface the rotors and vise versa. Sand them like mentioned above.