Thread: New rotors?

CEB
    No horse'n round

New rotors?

I can't imagine "wearing out" a rotor. I have been on the same ones for 3 years now (XTR) and do change pads ( DOH), but haven't even given a thought to renewing rotors. Other than bending one, is there a reason to replace rotors??

TIA

CEB...... bucket 'o Oats and I'm ready to run........

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just wore one out, cause of I think of a loose Rder hanger bolt, that allowed the alignment to get out of wack. took about a month to happen.

The rotor was on about 8000 km, with three refacings.

I wonder if Shimano hard surfaced their rotors (flame hardening or something), no one confirmed or denied. So if you finally wear through the surface hardening then the wear just skyrockets.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    ................The rotor was on about 8000 km, with three refacings.

What do you mean refacing? Who does that?

CEB

Meh.
    You can't turn rotors on bikes like you do with cars... Do you mean just sanding it? I consider that more cleaning...

Just like with cars, the rotors can eventually wear out. Tell-tale sign is when grooves are worn in.

29 some of the time...
    Lucky

I usually end up having to replace rotors every 6-12 months due to unforseen logs, crashes, or warping. I have also replaced rotors due to noise that wasn't easily cleared up with standard practices.

3 years is fantastic. So long as you are using stock pads and are having good performance I say just go with it . Rotors do eventually wear to the point that they fail, but it does take quite a bit of wear. Just keep an eye on metal wear. When the wear path gets worn down to below about 70% of full thickness you should probably look into replacements

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well most people around here say use some sand paper in a figure eight motion to level and smooth out a worn or rough rotor.

This was a used rotor from the LBS that they had sanded, I then used a bastard file to smooth it three times, I do this usually when I change pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sure- rotors can wear out

I have worn out a rotor- by worn out I mean that the rotor was getting too thin in an area. In my case it was an original pattern Hayes rotor that was six years old- it started out at about 2mm thick and had worn to about 1.5mm thick where the arms of the rotor meet the main braking surface. Decided to replace it since I have seen rotors come apart from being worn too much.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    All rotors wear out. 1.5mm thick on the braking track is a good guideline for knowing when to say when and buy a new one as it's in the ball park of what the major players say.

CEB
    No horse'n round

Got Em!!!

'07 XTR rotors......
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Just like with cars
    What are these "cars" you speak of?
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.