mtbr member

New rotors = new pads?

This came up in another section, but do you honnestly need to fit new pads when swapping rotors?

I ask because ive just fitted some Juicy Ultimates. For 1/2 quick test rides i had them setup with XTR rotors and have now swapped to Hope rotors - the brakes only got a quick test up and down the street/round the block...

That should be OK ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    no need for new pads...but you should break in the new rotors with a bunch of hard stops to 'acclimate' the new pairing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

That should be fine....

the pads haven't even had a chance to bed into the XT rotors before you switched. Generally yes, new rotors should be accompanied by new pads. This is due to the old pads being bedded to the old rotors and partially worn. Wear patterns will be different etc will be different for the different rotors. This can lead to highly accelerated pad wear on the old pads during the bedding/breakin process. So it's easier and faster to bed new pads to new rotors. But in your case your "old" new pads were hardly used at all. So shouldn't be a problem.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

The plough
    No.

You do not need new pads with new rotors. You will need to run them in again though as the new rotor needs to mate with the pads.

Replace pads when worn.

We change rotors a LOT due to the testing that we do. If we changed pads every time it would amount to a ridiculous pile of perfectly usable pads.

V.

mtbr member
    Though, does replacing the pads as well as the rotors maximize the braking capabilities? Or does it all turn out the same after the breaking in period? In other words, is using existing pads a compromise?

The plough
    Well, as I wrote earlier, we do it a lot and nobody ever noticed any difference.

Once the old pads mate with the new rotor, you are in business.

V.