mtbr member

New pads and rotors now they rub!?!?!

I just put new alligator pads and rotors on my bike. Now they rub. Is this normal until I ride a few miles? Or do I need to rebleed?? Plz help riding in the AM!!! Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Both your new rotors and your new pads might be thicker than the OEM parts, which might result in insufficient clearance between the pads and rotor.

But first, did you push the pistons back in as far as they would go?

If you can't push the pistons in any further, but they're still not in as far as they should go, then you might have too much brake fluid in the system.

I always recommend a new bleed, mainly because people don't bleed their brakes frequently enough. But if you're in a hurry or you're lazy, you can put a rag beneath the bleed port on the caliper, carefully loosen the screw, and then push the pistons in further, forcing a few drops of fluid out around the bleed screw.

mtbr member
    There was about 1/16 of piston sticking out. I figured I would bleed then reinstall the pads and see how it goes.

They hardly rub just enough to make noise. So if anything I'll deal with it until I put some miles on them.

b a n n e d
    Just ride them and let them bed it. So long as your rotor is true and its not a severe clearance issue, this is normal until the pads really bed in and mate to the rotor.

I agree with Rusty though that anytime you drop in new pads (assuming your old pads have worn out), its a good time to do a bleed and as noted, make sure your pistons are completely back in the bores.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Just ride them and let them bed it. So long as your rotor is true and its not a severe clearance issue, this is normal until the pads really bed in and mate to the rotor.

I agree with Rusty though that anytime you drop in new pads (assuming your old pads have worn out), its a good time to do a bleed and as noted, make sure your pistons are completely back in the bores.
    Yep rode 10 miles still rubbing but no other noises. I bled them this morning. Thanks guys.