mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New question here. new oro bianco install

Any body know what the specs. are, for the pad/rotor spacing on these?. I am changing over from BB7's, and am used to a lot of pad adjustability, these seem to have none. thanks

mtbr member
    With Formula brakes to move the pad closer to the rotor you need to slowly pump the brake once or twice with the wheel or caliper removed. Then you can fine-tune the feel with the FCS dial. I just picked up a set of Biancos, beautiful brakes (and they work great).
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

new oro bianco install

Thanks for the reply. I was messing around, trying to dial them in and discovered that the problem seem to be sticky pistons. i was trying to center them, but one side allways ended up closer. Looks like I will be taking out the pads for a inspection. I did not expect a hassle with new brakes, but oh well they look so sweet.

...idios...
    You'll get hasle sometimes with new brakes because the seals need to soften up a little. Just focus on getting the caliper (minus pads) perfectly aligned with the rotor running centrally through it, then instal the pads and pump the lever to activate the pistons into their working position. You can use both hands, or a point/screwdriver if the caliper design permits, to push the rotor against the free-moving piston while pumping the lever to free-up the lazy one. Check out the videos from Hope's site for an idea of how to...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    I have them on my bike and found that the piston seals (or something) was a bit stiff when new and hence hard to set up. I've messed with new 09 K24s and found the same thing.

Get it as close as you can and go ride the them. In my experience, they will break in fairly quickly and be much easier to deal with. Mine have been mostly flawless since break in. The only problem is I just needed to bleed them for the first time after 2 years and a ton of miles.

If you continue to have problems, it could be they are over full with fluid. This shows up when try to retract the piston and it wants to pop back out a bit on it's own. I doubt that is your problem (mine were over full after 2 years of no bleed and absorbing water into the fluid and some air).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

new oro bianco install

Well I rode yesterday and the front caliper stayed about the same, but the rear became worse. Now it sings at slow walking pace. Should I pull the pads and try to lube the pistons?. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    How were you centering them? Using the hold the lever down and tighten the mounting bolts method? You can try to lube the pistons but I bet they will break in.

Another possibility is that they got pumped up when the rotor wasn't between the pads. If you haven't tried to retract the pistons, you can do so with a flat screwdriver between the pads. Be careful not to scratch the pads.

If when you do this the calipers refuse to stay fully retracted (pop back out a bit after retracting) the system may be over full with fluid. I doubt this is the case.

After setting up 2 bikes with them, it has been my experience to have the same issue you are with centering them when brand new. Both of them were fine after a breaking in. This could take several good rides and a tweak of adjustment or two using the method at the top.

mtbr member
    duplicate post.

mtbr member
    The sintered pads can be noisy for awhile until you really bed them in. One good ride in mud and my Biancos are quiet and powerful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

new oro bianco install

Well here is what I have done so far, I centered the brakes initially with the squeeze/ tighten the bolts method. That's when i discovered that the outboard pistons(front+rear) will not retract. So I pushed the pads back and then centered them with feeler gauges, .015 on each side of each rotor, and then tightened the bolts. Same problem, outboard pistons will not retract. So then I pulled the pads, extended the pistons, cleaned and lubricated them, pushed the pistons back, and same problem, after actuating the lever, only the outboard pistons extend, and will not retract with or without the rotor installed. Not sure what to do next, I have not been able to call Formula, because I want to know why the outboard pistons on both f+r will not cooperate.

...idios...
    Have you bled the brake? Before even considering a fault with seals (caliper or lever), you really need to be 100% sure that the system is free of air bubbles. It's not unheard of for brakes to have a poor factory bleed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I did a mc bleed, after I shortened the hoses but I was under the impression that air in the system causes mushy brakes, mine are firm, just will not retract.And yes I am still talking about my brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fused
    ....And yes I am still talking about my brakes.
    Give Formula a call if you get a chance. Nice folks and they will get you sorted. If it's just a light rub from the caliper not retracting all the way, I still say ride em and see if it loosens up.

My experience was similar, in that they were stiff to retract when new. Been fine since, besides needing a bleed after 2 years.

...idios...
    "I did a mc bleed, after I shortened the hoses but I was under the impression that air in the system causes mushy brakes, mine are firm, just will not retract"

An MC bleed? I don't understand.

Yes, air in the system will typically show up as a softer lever, but in another post you said that obly one piston would extend...

Quote Originally Posted by fused
    ...same problem, after actuating the lever, only the outboard pistons extend, and will not retract with or without the rotor installed.
    Unless the lever piston seals are failing, the only other thing preventing hydraulic compression - assuming there are no leaks in the system - would be a bubble of air somewhere in the line. Have I misunderstood, and you meant that the free movement of one piston mean that the brake is applied before the other has been able to move? Not that one piston simply can't be extended?

Have you isolated the stubborn pistons? If you leave the caliper bolted to the fork/frame - but remove the pads - you'll be able to use a plastic tyre lever to hold the free-moving piston where it is while pumping the lazy bugger out. Drip a little brake fluid on the extended piston, or spray with silicone spray (it'll help soften the seal up), then push it back in. Repeat three or four times and try the brake again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry about the mc, I meant master cylinder. Both pistons extend on front and rear, but only one retracts properly on each caliper, the others retract slightly, but lever action leaves them up against the rotor, and I was mistaken, its the outboard on the rear and the inside on the front.

...idios...
    "Sorry about the mc, I meant master cylinder."

I knew that MC meant master cylinder, just not what you mean by a master cyclinder bleed.

As you're describing it, it certainly sounds just as though you just need to get the seals broken in. Use the processes described up-thread and give the brakes a little ride time. If that fails, then see if Formula themselves have any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I forgot to mention that the pistons that are not extending, only happens with the rotor removed, when the sticky piston pushes against the rotor, the others also extend, and then retract properly

...idios...
    "I forgot to mention that the pistons that are not extending, only happens with the rotor removed, when the sticky piston pushes against the rotor, the others also extend, and then retract properly"

I figured as much. See my post above your last one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well you SteveUK you were right on it, I pushed in the free moving piston and secured it, then pumped out what I thought was the free moving piston, cleaned and lubed it, and went for a ride. It is much better, minimal rubbing. I will realign them and wait for them to break in . Thanks so much everyone, all the input was great. I did talk to Formula, Charlie was very helpful and echoed what I was hearing here. Pretty and powerful, I hope to enjoy these brakes for a long time!