mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New (to me) SLX brakes on the way

I got a set of slightly used SLX M675 on the way. These are an upgrade to my Elixer 5's. Couple questions:

Can I use my avid brake rotors with the SLX calipers? My rotors are in good shape....is there something I should watch out for?

The SLX brakes have only been used about 2 times and have the regular non finned/OEM pads. Should I get a set of the finned pads or wait until I wear out the old ones? I was told the stock pads on the brakes I got coming are resin. Why get metal over resin?

I see shimano offers a second generation finned pads....what changed?

I should be able to reuse my adaptors from my avid brakes?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Come to think of it I may have 185mm rotor up front.....my stock/avid adaptors should make it a go? I will have to verify that when I get home
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Use your Avid adapter with your Avid rotor (185mm).
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Undercaffienated
    I think Shimano rotors have a narrower braking track than Avid 's. It'll work but might wear out your pads faster (?)

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Resin pads will provide a more linear braking experience, be much quieter, but ultimately offer less power. I have been using them on my M675's and find them to be delightful. Plenty of power with 180mm front/160mm rear setup, and I'm 200lbs+ when riding.

Also, resin pads will not last quite as long as metallic. I know many people that like to run a mix of metallic and resin. Say, both metallic up front and one metallic, one resin in the rear.

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The XTs that replaced the SLXs feel very similar performance wise, even tho the XTs have finned sintered pads. I felt the SLXs had more than enough power for XC and modulation was great…not too grabby. I would buy new pads after you wear those out.

You should be fine with your rotors, just use the Avid adapters for the 185 rotor. Rotor thickness doesn't really matter as long as they are not too thin…remember as the pads wear down the calipers will self adjust.