mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New Lightweight SS Niner Build - Brake Recommendations?

Hello, and thanks in advance for reading and hopefully chiming in.

I've read a lot of posts about Hopes being absolutely great brakes. Here's some questions from a newbie (me):

1. If I'm trying to build a lightweight, rigid SS Niner build and I weigh 210, what brakes should I be looking at? Trying to save weight, but I want plenty of stopping power. The terrain here is not too extreme (East Coast).

2. Brake rotors - Size? I'll be using a Niner Air 9 frame and a carbon RDO fork. Does this totally determine my available rotor sizes?

If you have the time and patience, SCHOOL ME.

I appreciate it!

Sliphorn

mtbr member
    If you like the sound of Hopes, consider the Race EVO line - lighter levers than the Tech EVOs with slightly less adjustability (ie missing BPC).

I would go M4 front and X2 rear.

As for your fork, it fits rotors up to 185mm. So try a 183mm rotor front with a 160mm rotor rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    If you like the sound of Hopes, consider the Race EVO line - lighter levers than the Tech EVOs with slightly less adjustability (ie missing BPC).

I would go M4 front and X2 rear.

As for your fork, it fits rotors up to 185mm. So try a 183mm rotor front with a 160mm rotor rear.
    Thanks for the reply. BPC? What's that?

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliphorn View Post
    Thanks for the reply. BPC? What's that?
    The bite point adjustment -- where the lever engages.

I love my Hopes(tech M4's), but there's a lot of lighter brakes out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    The bite point adjustment -- where the lever engages.

I love my Hopes(tech M4's), but there's a lot of lighter brakes out there.
    It's true, I do want a light build, but I really hate my current brakes and want good ones. The hopes are very pretty. I think I'm sold. It's really a question of which. Good suggestions here.

mtbr member
    Hope Race EVO...
    Shimano SLX or XT...
    Magura MT4 or MT5...
    Formula?
    Avid Trail?

MTBR Member
    Performance wise, Hope is exceptional. No doubt about it.

For your application, I'd go for the Race x2 evo's front and rear with 183/160 rotors.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Magura MT4 or MT5...
    MT is a good option too. I have the MT8's...about half the weight of my Hope tech m4's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was checking out he Maguras in the reviews section here on mtbr and several of them got very bad reviews. Leaning toward Hope, but the jury is still out. I'll decide for sure tomorrow. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Going with the M4 front and X2 rear. I think the M4 will help with my being a heavier rider. Thanks for chiming in, everyone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Okay, small issue. Can someone tell me if I'll need adapters or anything to mount an M4 to a Niner RDO fork? Can't find the applicable specs.

And an X2 to a Niner Air 9 Carbon?

I've never built a bike, but I have a buddy who used to for a living...so...yeah.

Thanks for the expertise.

MTBR Member
    Depends on rotor size for the front. If you're going to run the 183mm rotor, you will need the 74mm caliper>74mm fork adapter(Hope Disc Brake Adapters > Components > Brakes > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop)

On the rear, the bike also has a post-mount setup. For running a 160mm rotor, you will bolt the caliper directly to the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Depends on rotor size for the front. If you're going to run the 183mm rotor, you will need the 74mm caliper>74mm fork adapter(Hope Disc Brake Adapters > Components > Brakes > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop)

On the rear, the bike also has a post-mount setup. For running a 160mm rotor, you will bolt the caliper directly to the frame.
    I ordered the Hope Floating Discs in 160mm (rear) and 183mm (front).

How do you know the fork brake mounting details? I've been trying to find measurements, downloaded the manual, etc, and can find nothing. Is it a standardized size? If so, why the need for an adapter?

Thanks. And sorry for my ignorance...I'm learning a lot throughout this process.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliphorn View Post
    How do you know the fork brake mounting details? I've been trying to find measurements, downloaded the manual, etc, and can find nothing. Is it a standardized size? If so, why the need for an adapter?
    I didn't find the details directly listed on their site either. All you need is a photo though.

Two different types of mounts -- post-mount and IS(international standard) mount

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  6.8 KB

The post mount front fork is made to accept a 160mm rotor without adapter. Since you're running a larger rotor, the brake caliper will need to be spaced out further with the proper adapter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I didn't find the details directly listed on their site either. All you need is a photo though.

Two different types of mounts -- post-mount and IS(international standard) mount

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  6.8 KB

The post mount front fork is made to accept a 160mm rotor without adapter. Since you're running a larger rotor, the brake caliper will need to be spaced out further with the proper adapter.
    I guess if you know what to look for, it's simple! Thanks again. The site won't let me give you more rep, so I'm sending karma.