mtbr member

New lever blades for new Shimano XT or SLX?

New lever blades for new Shimano XT or SLX?

I bent one of the lever blades on my SLX brake. These blades seem really weak, (I even had them loosely mounted so they would move in a crash to prevent bending). Strangely the blade bent outward, so instead of the blade being flat with a hook on the end, it became rounded with a hook on the end. I was able to bend it mostly back but I think the blade will be more prone to bending now.

I was comparing the SLX blade with the XT blade on my other bike, and they appear as if they would be compatible, the difference appears that the XT looks like it's been forged, and the SLX looks like it's been pressed into shape.

The blades on these new Shimano brakes seem a bit more complex than the old style Shimano brakes.

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket replacement blades on the market for the new Shimano brakes, and are these blades easy to swap out like the old style Shimano hydros.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    www.chainreactioncycles.com sells upgrade levers that are quite expensive. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=19033
    In the lever axle a hex is hidden, that frees the axle. After unscrewing another hex the lever can be taken off.

They also sell complete levers in pairs, but also single.(section disc brake spares). In my case that was the cheaper option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLspot
    www.chainreactioncycles.com sells upgrade levers that are quite expensive. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=19033
    In the lever axle a hex is hidden, that frees the axle. After unscrewing another hex the lever can be taken off.

They also sell complete levers in pairs, but also single.(section disc brake spares). In my case that was the cheaper option.
    That CRC link to the straightline lever blades are for the old style Shimano brakes. I'm talking the new style. I know the old style blades are easy to swap out and there are plenty of aftermarket one's out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i dont think anyone.... twenty6 or straitline..... have levers for the radial master cylinder (new) shimano brakes yet, but i think twenty6 was working on them, i suggest try calling both companies and seeing if they have any they are about to release